Laptop FPS issue

May 18, 2018
Hello Community,
Kindly help me out here. I am getting frustrated by the performance of this laptop everyday. It has:
i7-7700hq
1050 ti
8gb RAM

The problem is, I am getting low fps in games, 45-55 fps in GTA V and 100-170~ in CS GO. I have tried installing every NVIDIA driver possible, playing to optimized settings, lowering resolution/settings in GTA, but nothing seems to improve my fps. I am getting the same 50 fps in 800x600 and the same in Full HD in GTA. I have tried reinstalling windows, updating from Win 10 home to pro, but everything in vain. I am also getting stutters every 30 secs. I have tried undervolting my CPU, overclocking GPU, temps are normal ~80C for CPU and 70 for Gpu.

What should i do? Should i take it to the service centre? What should i say to them?

Solution
You do want the GPU to be used as much as possible. Although I've seen instances before where the GPU is constantly around 95 - 100%, would get really hot... eventually cause weird lag/display 'glitches' & then eventually die.

Maybe I'm just paranoid doing so, but anytime I get a new desktop or laptop, I take it apart and replace the thermal paste w/ grizzly kryonaut

toshibitsu

Distinguished
If you take in for service, they'll run a hardware test & then do some stress testing. Maybe they'll find something, but there's also a good chance there's nothing wrong with the laptop.

Sure there are "lesser" cards then the 1050 Ti, but that card is the entry level "gaming" card. Not to mention that 8GB of memory is the minimum requirements for newer games(16GB is the recommended amount these days).

Open Task Manager while the game(s) are running and see where the CPU/GPU/Mem/HDD usage is at. If there's any background apps open that are consuming anything, you'll want to close them. I would also go into your 'Power' options and set it to 'High Performance'.

Beyond that, all you could do is upgrade the memory. If you have a Thunderbolt 3 connection, there's also the possibly of using an eGPU.

May 18, 2018

Hey bro, thanks for the reply.
This is the main concern, when I change my settings to high, my GPU usage is 60-70% and at times 95~% in certain areas in city in GTA. When I lowered the reso and graphics, the GPU usage lowered to ~30-40% and the fps remained the same. The CPU usage is constantly 50-60 and at times 70%. I have not been able to do anything to increase the usage.

Laptop is already set to "High performance". And no background process is running that may interfere with the usage.

toshibitsu

Distinguished
Both the CPU & GPU usage is normal... aside from the 95~%. If it keeps spiking like that, that means the GPU is struggling to keep up.

If you have these games through Steam and the primary use of the laptop is gaming, you could also try using the Steam OS instead. It may help with performance a bit.

May 18, 2018

But in order to get the best fps out of the hardware, shouldn't the gpu usage must be >90%? I guess games aren't utilising the hardware specs to the max.

toshibitsu

Distinguished
You do want the GPU to be used as much as possible. Although I've seen instances before where the GPU is constantly around 95 - 100%, would get really hot... eventually cause weird lag/display 'glitches' & then eventually die.

Maybe I'm just paranoid doing so, but anytime I get a new desktop or laptop, I take it apart and replace the thermal paste w/ grizzly kryonaut

Solution