May 7, 2019
So I have been trying to install windows 10 on my friends laptop which previously had windows 7.
I upgraded a lot of computers before but some weird things are happening now.
I installed windows 10 with usb and it always freezes after being in windows for around 2 mins. Sometimes it even freezes on windows loading screen. Computer fans just start spinning faster and everything is frozen. Only hard resetting helps.
Next step i tried is that I used different usb with differen windows and still no luck.
I installed windows 7 again but with CD and it worked. I have been thinking maybe its cd-usb difference.
Latest thing i tried was starting it up in safe mode and it works. So if i put it in safe mode i can normally use computer for longer period of time without freezing. I tried sfc /scannow, I ran mem test, no luck.
I am thinking about some driver problems?
Laptop is old but has 8gb ram, i7 and newly added ssd... It also had older hdd, which i though could cause the problem (read it somewhere that having 2 disks can cause problems). I think i ruled it out after disconnecting it and getting same error. Or could it be that even when one is disconnected computer still has some RAID configuration which could cause the problem?

Thanks for any kind of help, just need to pinpoint the problem I am running out of ideas.

First what is the laptop make and model. Next, change bios from RAID to AHCI (if there is no AHCI choose IDE). Also check boot bios mode, if Legacy or UEFI, choose Legacy. Which drive are you using to load windows? the new SSD or the older drive. And yes, if possible disconnect or disable drive that is not booting windows.

May 7, 2019
Ok so i did all the things in bios and disconnected other hard drive, after bios screen it gave me blue screen and said boot media not found, so i thought it might be that place where windows drive is put, metters, i switched it and now i cant even get to bios screen. Turning computer on does nothing.. light for power in on but black screen, nothing shows. Fan is speeding up and down but thats it.. Tried reseting by unpluging battery and holding power button and it did not help.. After reseting few times a got to bios screen again but nowhere further.. After another reset no bios screen again... Removing ram or changing hard drive again also did not help

Now it looks like i broke friends computer -_-

May 7, 2019
I know how to replace ssd.. anway.. wrongly replaced disk cannot cause bios not to start up.
I have tried putting back old disk and removing them both, no bios logo whatsoever

Last edited:
I did not have time to view the video, as I was just walking out the door, hoped something in it might help.. The fact you can not bring up the bios is troubling. If your are not even getting a flash screen, then I would say it's a power issue. You say you reset the battery, have you tried running the laptop with the battery removed? Sometimes a bad battery can cause a variety of problems.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019
I reset the cmos by unplugging and removing the real battery not the bios one.. I can not easily get access to the bios one.. Do you think there is a difference between resetting it by holding power button without electricity and removing the bios battery? If there is a good chance resetting bios battery would help me, i will do it but it will take quite a lot of dismantling.
I noticed one other thing.. Power for battery is not on, even when power led is on.. I have the battery removed and laptop plugged directly to electricity... I am not sure if it worked before but..
Could it be that even tho laptop is directly plugged into the wall, turning it on but no bios is showing up that it got something to do with electricity?
I thought if it turns on, that it rules out electric problems.. I might be wrong tho.

At this point i would first try to boot up your lap top with no hard drive and see if you get a flash screen. Removing the battery and pushing the on button, simply powers down the computer (removes the residual power and clears the memory (sets up a hard boot), it does not reset the CMOS.. If you are not getting a flash screen than the mother board is not properly powering up.

Last edited:
Here are some other fixes. with a hard drive connected.

• If the laptop will still not boot up with just the AC adapter connected do try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage.
  • Do also reset the RAM's, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
  • Lastly, do also try connecting an external monitor and see if you'll get any display from it.

Also, it your computer was a plug in wireless adapter, remove it.

May 7, 2019
Ok will try resetting the cmos.
I dont think i have another adapter with same "head", I tried resetting the ram already and tried using external monitor as well.. I am putting all my hopes into resetting cmos :)

May 7, 2019
Ok so here is the sit.
Tried reseting cmos battery but no luck.. After that i put RAM into other socket and restarted cmos again and it worked,. But after next restart it stopped working again.
So basically reseting cmos, putting RAM into other socket and holding power button for 20sec without electricty somehow manages to make laptop work for one run. But even that doesnt work all the time. I tried upgrading bios but i am having hard time as sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.
What also happens is that there is black screen for like 3mins, then all of a sudden vents go crazy and laptop starts to work.

I have no clue anymore.. If it wouldnt work at all i would suspect motherboard.. But why does it work sometimes?