Question Laptop freezes on normal startup and safe mode with networking

Yuroshock

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
I have a four year old MSI GS70 Stealth Pro-099 Laptop running Windows 10 that was working fine for the first half of the day yesterday. I walked away from it for about an hour and when I came back it was frozen (no bsod).

After rebooting it several time it freezes quickly but randomly, sometimes before login screen, most of the time on the login screen, but sometimes if I act quickly enough I can manage to type in my password before it freezes, but I could never manage to do anything on the desktop before freezing.

Things I've tried so far unsuccessfully:
  • Performed a "Clean Boot" by disabling everything other than Microsoft products in msconfig and disabling everything in the task manager Startup tab.
  • Uninstalled sound drivers that I updated about a week ago
  • Tried booting into safe mode with networking which also froze like normal startups
  • Tried uninstalling network drivers
  • Tried Windows "Startup Repair"
I'm not sure where to go from here; any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yuroshock

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
So after some more googleing I tried turning off fast boot in the bios and I can now get into Safe Mode with Networking. Are there any further troubleshooting tips I can do with this?

Yuroshock

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
So can I literally just go to device manager and uninstall everything? Or what is the best way of picking which drivers to try reinstalling?

As for doing the "Reset this PC" with the keep my files option, how reliable is it not deleting personal files? How to does it treat my second hard drive?

Likely. I am betting the SSD or ram may be at fault.

I would run MEMtest86. This runs from a bootable USB and will tell you if your ram is working correctly.

I would try to update the SSD firmware and running a smart scan on the drive using another PC if possible. If you don't have another PC, I would try to run Ubuntu from a USB drive. Then use the gnome disk utility to check the health of your drives.https://askubuntu.com/questions/325283/how-do-i-check-the-health-of-a-ssd

TRENDING THREADS