Question Laptop freezes when I unplug it's power cable and external monitor

drahstul

Commendable
Jun 25, 2019
When I move from my desk to my couch, I unplug my laptop and the external monitor. 90% of the time it will freeze within 1 minute. First, the sound will stutter like this, go normal again, but the screen is frozen, and around 10 seconds after that I get a BSOD with DPC_Watchdog_Violation.

Other things to note: I have no unusual programs running (most of the time just Chrome or Winamp, if at all.) Sometimes I have an external HDD connected but I'm 90% it happens without it too.

I'm running Win 10 64-bit on an MSI GS65.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop. I'd advise against using the Dragon Center app to update the BIOS. If you have an update pending, do so manually with a FAT32 formatted USB drive. Which version of the OS are you on?

drahstul

Commendable
Jun 25, 2019
Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop. I'd advise against using the Dragon Center app to update the BIOS. If you have an update pending, do so manually with a FAT32 formatted USB drive. Which version of the OS are you on?
I was suspecting I might need to update the BIOS. A lot of people advise against it, but reading through the MSI instructions it seems to be pretty straightforward, so I guess I'll try that. Thanks. I'm running on 17763.557.

TRENDING THREADS