Laptop freezes when inserting Netgear WG511 wireless adpater

I spent hours trying to install Netgear WG511 54 MB wireless adapter
card on my laptop. After I install the driver and when I instert the card,
my laptop freezes and I have to power it down. I followed the netgear
support person advice by unistalling Netgear and manually deleting the
driver and removing the netgear driver refrences from windows xp registry
then reinstalled the netgear software. I tried that several times but that
didn't help and the computer would crash everytime. My Windows XP otherwise
works fine and I am using my older Linksys 802.11b wireless card which
installed and worked smoothly.
The strange thing about this problem, is that when I initially had the
card it worked fine until I downloaded an updated driver from Netgear
website to support WPA. A few days ago, I formated my hard drive and
installed clean Windows XP and SP2 but I am still not able to install the
driver for the card.
This really have been one of the most frustrating computer problems
I've ever had to deal with. Shall I just quit and get a different brand card
or it's an XP problem and can be fixed?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Frustration is part of computer life. You might try uninstalling everything
to do with that card. Turn off your computer and insert the card. Turn it
back on and see what XP says about New Hardware. Possibly XP has a generic
driver that works. If not, XP will ask you for a driver at which point,
direct it to the old drivers that did work.

"M Arida" <marida1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I spent hours trying to install Netgear WG511 54 MB wireless adapter
> card on my laptop. After I install the driver and when I instert the card,
> my laptop freezes and I have to power it down. I followed the netgear
> support person advice by unistalling Netgear and manually deleting the
> driver and removing the netgear driver refrences from windows xp registry
> then reinstalled the netgear software. I tried that several times but that
> didn't help and the computer would crash everytime. My Windows XP
otherwise
> works fine and I am using my older Linksys 802.11b wireless card which
> installed and worked smoothly.
> The strange thing about this problem, is that when I initially had
the
> card it worked fine until I downloaded an updated driver from Netgear
> website to support WPA. A few days ago, I formated my hard drive and
> installed clean Windows XP and SP2 but I am still not able to install the
> driver for the card.
> This really have been one of the most frustrating computer problems
> I've ever had to deal with. Shall I just quit and get a different brand
card
> or it's an XP problem and can be fixed?

I tried that. Shortly after directing Windows XP to the driver , it
froze again. I tried the original driver in the CD that came with card
as well as all the driver posted at netgear website. Everytime I made
sure I completely cleaned and uninstall everything related to netgear.

John wrote:
> Frustration is part of computer life. You might try uninstalling
everything
> to do with that card. Turn off your computer and insert the card.
Turn it
> back on and see what XP says about New Hardware. Possibly XP has a
generic
> driver that works. If not, XP will ask you for a driver at which
point,
> direct it to the old drivers that did work.
>
> "M Arida" <marida1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I spent hours trying to install Netgear WG511 54 MB wireless
adapter
> > card on my laptop. After I install the driver and when I instert
the card,
> > my laptop freezes and I have to power it down. I followed the
netgear
> > support person advice by unistalling Netgear and manually deleting
the
> > driver and removing the netgear driver refrences from windows xp
registry
> > then reinstalled the netgear software. I tried that several times
but that
> > didn't help and the computer would crash everytime. My Windows XP
> otherwise
> > works fine and I am using my older Linksys 802.11b wireless card
which
> > installed and worked smoothly.
> > The strange thing about this problem, is that when I
initially had
> the
> > card it worked fine until I downloaded an updated driver from
Netgear
> > website to support WPA. A few days ago, I formated my hard drive
and
> > installed clean Windows XP and SP2 but I am still not able to
install the
> > driver for the card.
> > This really have been one of the most frustrating computer
problems
> > I've ever had to deal with. Shall I just quit and get a different
brand
> card
> > or it's an XP problem and can be fixed?

I also tried this. It didn't work probably because my prolem occures
even before the driver is completely installed. As soon as windows
finds WG511 driver and starts to install it, it freezes...

Doug Jamal wrote:
> Disable the Windows Zero Configuration Utility. It is probably
> conflicting with your netgear utility. To do so, click START then
RUN

"M Arida" <marida1@hotmail.com> wrote in news:dLx9d.59$5N6.5@trndny08:

> I spent hours trying to install Netgear WG511 54 MB wireless adapter
> card on my laptop. After I install the driver and when I instert the
> card, my laptop freezes and I have to power it down. I followed the
> netgear support person advice by unistalling Netgear and manually
> deleting the driver and removing the netgear driver refrences from
> windows xp registry then reinstalled the netgear software. I tried
> that several times but that didn't help and the computer would crash
> everytime. My Windows XP otherwise works fine and I am using my older
> Linksys 802.11b wireless card which installed and worked smoothly.
> The strange thing about this problem, is that when I initially
> had the
> card it worked fine until I downloaded an updated driver from Netgear
> website to support WPA. A few days ago, I formated my hard drive and
> installed clean Windows XP and SP2 but I am still not able to install
> the driver for the card.
> This really have been one of the most frustrating computer
> problems
> I've ever had to deal with. Shall I just quit and get a different
> brand card or it's an XP problem and can be fixed?

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 02:04:42 GMT, Doug Jamal
<bishiv6ERASEATYAHOODOTCOM@yahoo.com> wrote :

>Disable the Windows Zero Configuration Utility. It is probably
>conflicting with your netgear utility. To do so, click START then RUN
>and type services.msc and press enter. Scroll down the services list
>until you see the WZC. Disable it and then click on APPLY. At this point,
>your freezes should cease. You might have to reboot.

Alternatively, disable or don't install the Netgear utility and just
use the WZCU.

I've found the WZCU to be quite OK, and use it all the time.
It doesn't actually conflict with my equivalent Toshiba utility, but
it I try to run the Toshiba utility, it gives me a warning that it
wont work unless I disable WZCU first.

--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins

Forgive me if you've already done this. Can you uninstall the Netgear
Utility (completely) then reinstall it? Also try disabling the wireless B
portion and just use the G portion and vice-versa to see whether it
continues to freeze. Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, TASK MANAGER, PROCESSES and see
whether or not you have another (previous) Wireless utility running at the
same time as the netgear utility. You can also click START, RUN and type
MSCONFIG then hit the STARTUP tab to see almost every program that starts
when Windows start. Simply uncheck the ones you don't want or possibly
could be useless and a possible conflict. BE CAREFUL! Also, check the
Netgear website for updated firmware for your card. If you've already
tried these things, I apologize.

<snipped>

> I spent hours trying to install Netgear WG511 54 MB wireless adapter
> card on my laptop. After I install the driver and when I instert the card,
> my laptop freezes and I have to power it down. I followed the netgear
> support person advice by unistalling Netgear and manually deleting the
> driver and removing the netgear driver refrences from windows xp registry
> then reinstalled the netgear software. I tried that several times but that
> didn't help and the computer would crash everytime. My Windows XP
otherwise
> works fine and I am using my older Linksys 802.11b wireless card which
> installed and worked smoothly.
> The strange thing about this problem, is that when I initially had
the
> card it worked fine until I downloaded an updated driver from Netgear
> website to support WPA. A few days ago, I formated my hard drive and
> installed clean Windows XP and SP2 but I am still not able to install the
> driver for the card.
> This really have been one of the most frustrating computer problems
> I've ever had to deal with. Shall I just quit and get a different brand
card
> or it's an XP problem and can be fixed?

Had a similar problem with D-Link DWL-650+. Turned out to be a bad card.
Try the card in a different machine if possible.

None

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002

had a similair issue where as the DWL AG650 card would blue screen
when moving from one AP to another AP - all OS's were Windows 2000
Pro - I could not recreate the problem on my laptop - out of 200
users, 100 had the problem - after many hours of searching - worked
out the DLink Drivers were causing the problem - as the DWL-AG650 used
the Atheros 500XL+ chipset - used the Atheros driver with the Atheros
client and this fixed the problem.

What chipset does the NetGear use - trying using the generic drivers
for the chipset and not the one Netgear provide.

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:56:03 GMT, None wrote:

> had a similair issue where as the DWL AG650 card would blue screen
> when moving from one AP to another AP - all OS's were Windows 2000
> Pro - I could not recreate the problem on my laptop - out of 200
> users, 100 had the problem - after many hours of searching - worked
> out the DLink Drivers were causing the problem - as the DWL-AG650 used
> the Atheros 500XL+ chipset - used the Atheros driver with the Atheros
> client and this fixed the problem.
>
> What chipset does the NetGear use - trying using the generic drivers
> for the chipset and not the one Netgear provide.

Netgear also uses the Atheros chipset.