Laptop Freezes when playing games

kenghtt

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Hey community,

its been going on for about half a year now and my laptop would freeze mid game.
I have dusted it out, installed fresh os. It only happens with I play League of Legends and Starcraft. I also play Black Flag, and FIFA 14, but it never freezes for those games no matter how hot it got.
I usually play 1-2 games of Starcraft or LoL before it crashes. Sometimes it can recover and I can play again but it usually leaves a buzzing sound when it freezes and I eventually have to power it off manually. It left an error once when it recovered and said that my GPU driver was outdated, but even after i updated it, freezing still occurs.
my specs for my laptop is
L502x DELL brand
i5-2410M cpu
GT 540M gpu
HDD 500gb

heres the link to my laptop if anyone wants more info

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-XPS-15-Noteboo...

Solution
G
This temperature, in my opinion, is too high for laptops. Was the temperature always around that number before your laptop start freezing?
Download and run HijackThis, save the log file and send us a copy, please.

Also, configure all video settings to the lowest profile possible and try to play this way StarCraft 2.
If it doesn't work, go to your home folder and inside Documents look for StarCraft 2. Make a backup of this folder and delete it. Launch the game and try to play until crash, but do not change any (video, audio, gameplay...) settings.
G

I think StarCraft and League of Legends are using* the integrated GPU Intel HD Graphics, and not your off-board GPU. Go here (http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect) and update the driver for Intel HD Graphics.

Tip: I guess your laptop gets too hot because it is giving priority to the Intel HD Graphics first, instead of the GT.

kenghtt

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
I will try that, and do you how i can make league of legends and starcraft to not run on the integrated gpu? Is there a way I can manually switch the games to use my off-board gpu?

G

Yes, but you have to do it in the BIOS>Advanced and in the NVIDIA Control Panel>Manage 3D Settings>High Performance.

kenghtt

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Laptop still freezes even after doing all of that. I had switched my laptop to use my GT gpu instead of my onboard....I was on starcraft checking my gpu temp and it was at 82c right before it froze....I was playing for about 30min...any suggestions why this is? can it be just overheating?

kenghtt

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

I have never overclocked any of my hardware...My cpu in the past has always been able to handle these games. I can even play BF3 on it, but just about 3 months ago is when it started freezing.

G

This temperature, in my opinion, is too high for laptops. Was the temperature always around that number before your laptop start freezing?
Download and run HijackThis, save the log file and send us a copy, please.

Also, configure all video settings to the lowest profile possible and try to play this way StarCraft 2.
If it doesn't work, go to your home folder and inside Documents look for StarCraft 2. Make a backup of this folder and delete it. Launch the game and try to play until crash, but do not change any (video, audio, gameplay...) settings.

Solution