Question Laptop freezes when using programs like MATLAB

Mar 9, 2019
It will be a detailed explanation so thank you to anyone who read it.

My Lenovo Z585 laptop had an interesting problem recently. When I power my laptop, it starts to power up normally but then when windows loading is shown, laptop screen backlight starts to dim until it looks like screen is completely off. Windows is operating normally when plugged to an external monitor so screen was the only problem. But then i noticed that although screen looks like its completely off if I look the screen with a flashlight pointing at it I could see that screen is working but backlight is off only. It would be a more simple case if anything at all is not seen from the boot screen rather than dimming the light after working properly till the windows loading screen. Operation of the computer was OK but the screen problem back then.

I took my laptop to a repair shop (I was out of town back then, so it is hard for me now to take my computer to the same repair shop again). They fixed the screen problem. Repair guy said that he made power connection of the screen somewhere else from the motherboard (I am not sure what he means by that exactly). But then computer began to freeze few minutes after I start it. By freezing I mean dead freeze so that I cannot do anything untill I force shut down my laptop by pressing power button. I took it back to repair shop. Repair guy said it is a windows issue. I was going to install a ssd to my laptop anyway so I said OK. He installed ssd and windows to my laptop. After then, freezing problem seems like gone. Only problem was when I shut down my computer it shuts windows down but computer does not cut the power, fans etc. continue working till i hold the power button fot shutting down. I didnt mind the problem since it seems like a minor issue.

But then I installed softwares I used to use without any problems like MATLAB, Siemens NX. etc. When I open this programs computer freezes again after a few seconds. Everyday computer stuff like browsing, watching videos does not cause any problem. Freezing occurs when using this CPU consuming programs. I suspected RAM related issues. I took off one of the RAMs then it looks like problem was gone even the not shutting down properly problem. I took off other RAM then plugged the initial RAM I took off it worked properly also. I tried different RAM slots for different RAMs and it all worked properly. I thought that there is a strange problem only occurs when both of the RAMs was plugged in. But then I plugged both of the RAMs again then it is also worked! I said to myself OK problem solved than. There was no problem for a week: no freezes, no not proper shutdowns.

But then today when using MATLAB problem started again. I tried the RAM trick once more nothing have changed unlike last time. I tried another RAM which I have, problem still continued. So hard drive, SSD, RAM is not looking like the source of problem. Anyone has any idea what is the problem and why this inconsistencies happening? Sorry for extremely long explanation of the problem.

Could be overheating, but maybe an issue with the RAM sticks or one of the RAM slots. Are there issues when you only have one RAM stick in? Test it with one slot at a time.

The issue is that things started to lock up after whatever fix they did, there may have been something damaged on the motherboard, especially if they re-wired something. Or this power hack they did is causing he issue, or heatsink or fan need to be checked.

Mar 9, 2019
Could be overheating, but maybe an issue with the RAM sticks or one of the RAM slots. Are there issues when you only have one RAM stick in? Test it with one slot at a time.

The issue is that things started to lock up after whatever fix they did, there may have been something damaged on the motherboard, especially if they re-wired something. Or this power hack they did is causing he issue, or heatsink or fan need to be checked.

It is not overheating, I checked both RAM slots with different RAMs it did not solved the issue. Whatever they did is the cause of the problem most probably. But funny thing is RAM trick solved issue for like a week then it started again. What could be the problem and why the problem comes and goes are the actual things I wonder about.