[SOLVED] Laptop freezing and not responding

Apr 25, 2021
Hi, my laptop is randomly freezing and not responding. To fix it I have to turn it off and on again but it keeps happening again. I have updated my amd drivers, but it still keeps happening. I have a asus tuf fx505dy laptop.

Solution
So,
Try the chkdsk command in command line. Type "cmd" in the searchbar in start, then open it as administrator. In that windows, type, without quotation marks: "chkdsk X:" Where "X" is letter of your drive, C, D etc. Test all your drives. Also you can download HDtune, and perform full scan, not fast one. It will test whole drive for possible errors.

I have seen it freeze on the battery.
Only on battery? No freezes on power supply? If only on battery, maybe try to change power settings, for exaple set it to high performance. I know it will drain battery faster, but just for the test.

I would like to suggest to update BIOS, but we did not know it laptop won't freeze during that process. It wolud brick it. So maybe leave it...

bargman

Commendable
May 12, 2019
Hi,

What exactly are you doing on that laptop when problem occures?
It freezes on battery or on power supply? Or on both?
How long did the problem occures?
PC is freezing in BIOS?

Install HWinfo and check temperatures. CPU, GPU and disk mainly.

For me it can either be a RAM or disk problem. You should try perform a full mem test and run a chkdsk on all your drives.
Alternativelly to eliminate the Windows and to fast test your RAM you can fire a live CD linux for a while and see if problem occures during using it. (It is not proper RAM testing but for a while it will do).

If PC will freeze during using live CD linux it may indicate to faulty ram, as the drive is not used during that procedure, or mobo. If not, then first thing will be to check disks and then, anyway, memtest.

Apr 25, 2021
I usually have chrome, discord and teams open. Sometimes when I play minecraft it does that too.
This problem happens almost everyday, and for it to unfreeze I have to reboot my laptop.
I don't know about bios.
CPU temp when playing minecraft is from 65-75 degrees celsius. And for the gpu it's staying around 65 degrees celsius. The drive has around 33 degrees celsius.

bargman

Commendable
May 12, 2019
So,
Try the chkdsk command in command line. Type "cmd" in the searchbar in start, then open it as administrator. In that windows, type, without quotation marks: "chkdsk X:" Where "X" is letter of your drive, C, D etc. Test all your drives. Also you can download HDtune, and perform full scan, not fast one. It will test whole drive for possible errors.

Only on battery? No freezes on power supply? If only on battery, maybe try to change power settings, for exaple set it to high performance. I know it will drain battery faster, but just for the test.

I would like to suggest to update BIOS, but we did not know it laptop won't freeze during that process. It wolud brick it. So maybe leave it for now.
I can see that latest BIOS is from last year, here. Can you check what version do you have? It should be in HWinfo somewhere under the motherboard line.

Solution