Laptop Gaming Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

IbraheemM

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
I got a decently powerful laptop a while back and started to get interested in PC Gaming. I always wanted to transition to PC gaming, but it cost too much. My question is actually a list of questions. My first is, can my laptop even play most games at least low settings? My specs are the following:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M (4gb total / 2gb dedicated)
16gb ram
Windows 8.1

Now, I know that certain games claim to run on my laptop, but to do so it has the fan on full blast and that deters me from playing anything for more than a minute. Which brings me to the next question, is there a way that I avoid the fan from roid raging on me? For example, a cooling pad or something I can keep under my laptop to avoid it. Maybe even a way to configure the fan so it doesn't do so. My next question is, is there certain software that con configure the game so it runs more efficiently? I heard of a one from gamerazor. Just wanted the opinion of others. Is there any accessories I may want to consider? Lastly, if gaming is not something I should be doing on this laptop, then is there a certain budget gaming PC (I am willing to build) that I should look into? Thank you very much.

Shamier Hassan

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014
pc gaming always cheaper than a gaming laptop.

here is my opinion if you want to build your own gaming pc.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($136.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.50 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($84.89 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.59 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($289.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $864.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-25 22:43 EDT-0400

Bolin

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014

console gaming is cheaper and more powerful than both pc/laptop gaming. It's also more portable as long as you have an external monitor where you're going to.

If OP asks for a laptop it's because that's what he's looking for. It's useless to recommend a pc from wherever you see it.

If OP Asked for a motorbike would you provide him a car? or the other way around?

IbraheemM

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014

Thank you, but I did also ask on people's opinion whether I should just get a PC and what they would recommend. With that in mind, I would also appreciate it if someone could answer my initial questions as well. Still, I am grateful for any input I can receive.

Jacob Millard

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
"Can it even play most games at low settings" yes it most definitely can, this is a very good laptop for games especially at low settings the graphics card is said to be able to play games from 2013 on medium - high settings so I can't see why you can't play 2014 games on low. The processor can be turbo boosted from 2.4Ghz on each core to 3.2Ghz which is amazing. The 16Gb of ram will be enough to play pretty much any game. My only issue is not knowing what the hardrive is so if you include that it can tell me if you'll need more storage or not. So yes you can play games from 2013 on medium - high and most likely 2014 games on low.

IbraheemM

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014

Thanks, but I really get antsy when my laptop sounds like a leaf blower. Is there a way to prevent that?

Status
Not open for further replies.