ludinkog

Honorable
Jun 1, 2016
So I have an Asus ROG Hero laptop with an i7 7700hq, gtx 1060 6gb and a 512gb ssd in it. I primarily play R6 Siege and Rocket League these days, but almost entirely on my desktop. My desktop is rocking higher end specs, with an 8700k and an rtx 2080 TI with a 2tb ssd. Now, on my desktop, I am running the Dell S2417DG Monitor clocked at 165hz, but I used to run it on stock 144hz. I play primarily on my desktop, but on weekends I go to a friends house to play there, in which case I take my laptop with me. I got this laptop specifically because of the 120hz panel, so that I would not notice such a nasty difference in refresh rate. But I have never been able to feel like on my laptop I am playing at 120hz, it feels more like 60. I have my nVidia settings set at 120hz, and in game at 120.11hz. I used to play at 144hz on my desktop, and even then this problem was present. Is this just how things are, going between desktop and laptop, or am I just doing something wrong? I am not sure I believe that there is that much of a difference between 120 and 144 that it would be this bothersome.

If anyone has any clues, that would be great, thanks!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What frame rates are you getting on your laptop?

Your desktop is far more powerful and it's frame rates would consistently be higher where refresh rate will be visually superior.

Easy test. Set laptop screen to 60 and whip the mouse or drag a window in circles and compare the difference.

ludinkog

Honorable
Jun 1, 2016
Well my desktop is running on 1440p where my laptop is at 1080p, but I've also got my laptop game settings dropped down low enough to get a stable 140+ with odd dips down to 120. I have done the whole window thing, dragging it around screen, and it doesn't seem to be as smooth as it is on desktop. Could it have anything to do with the physical limitations of the panel on the laptop, maybe? Am I expecting too much from a laptop? I used to play on a 60hz Alienware before I got back on desktop after 2+ years of laptop only gaming..

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I meant change laptop to 60Hz, do the window thing then change it back to 120. Is there a difference?

If you can tell the difference between 60 and 120 on your laptop screen in Windows, even scrolling through web pages, then i would guess it's how the games/Vsync is configured.

TRENDING THREADS