[SOLVED] laptop generic vs oem drivers

tanjib

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
Hi,
I need to buy a laptop badly that supports generic drivers besides its own oem drivers.
How to recognize during purchasing a laptop if it supports generic drivers such as from (NVIDIA or AMD) ? Because I had a HP laptop that only supports drivers that came with it (recovery disc). I didnt know this and I formatted my laptop harddisk and got black screen after reinstalling windows and graphics drivers (from AMD site) and I didnt have the recovery disc and the drivers from HP site didnt work and finally my laptop was unusable.
But my sister's ASUS laptop supports generic drivers with no issues . It supports drivers provided by AMD .
So I want know how to check this issue before buying a laptop whether it supports generic drivers ? Is this mentioned on laptops ?

Solution
If you do not have a recovery disk with drivers you could get drivers form the manufacturer website or Microsoft Catalog.
Most laptops will work with generic drivers but you might lose some functionality with specific features.
It is good measure to gather drivers before formatting the drive and performing a clean installation.
If you do not have a recovery disk with drivers you could get drivers form the manufacturer website or Microsoft Catalog.
Most laptops will work with generic drivers but you might lose some functionality with specific features.
It is good measure to gather drivers before formatting the drive and performing a clean installation.

Solution

tanjib

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
Thanks Jolesa. I got it. Losing some functionality is quiet okay but getting blue screen, black screen or laptop crash is something that only needs original drivers. My friend also got crash on his lenovo laptop after installing driver from windows update. So is there any indication, stickers or labels on laptop front or backside to know this?

And I found that only laptops from ASUS work well with generic drivers and they do not come with any recovery disc or drive.

Thanks Jolesa. I got it. Losing some functionality is quiet okay but getting blue screen, black screen or laptop crash is something that only needs original drivers. My friend also got crash on his lenovo laptop after installing driver from windows update. So is there any indication, stickers or labels on laptop front or backside to know this?
There isn't any sticker of that sort.
Of course sometime you could get BSOD from any drivers and it does not matter if they come from manufacturer or Windows update. A Windows crash could be cause by anything, software, drivers or hardware.
Also, just because someone else have a crash with a specific driver, it doesn't translate into everybody else having the same issue.

And I found that only laptops from ASUS work well with generic drivers and they do not come with any recovery disc or drive.
Many laptops work just fine with generic drivers. After Windows 10, a lot of drivers from Windows update are the same basic drivers from manufacturers.
Many times recovery disk with old drivers could introduce many issues. Now a days all drivers are available online from manufacturers, where they can keep them up to date.

Sorry to reply so late but I just got the notification about your post.