Laptop get's a white screen upon start-up.

Chewbawka

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
When i start my laptop my icons and start menu disappear after about 1 second. My background disappears after about 15 seconds and i am left with a white screen and my cursor. How can i fix this?

Chewbawka

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I have tried starting it in safe mode, safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt.
When i start it in safe mode with command prompt it starts up with command prompt open and a black screen with safe mode in all corners. I am then able to open task manager(i cannot ope task manager when i start it up any other way). When i open task manager i noticed that explorer.exe isn't running when i start it i get all my icons and start menu back. After about 5 minutes of having ran explorer.exe an error message pops up saying the computer has encountered an error saying it will restart in 1 minute. However if i don't start explorer.exe and just leave command prompt open the error message doesn't pop up and command prompt stays open.

Chewbawka

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

I also thought new screen or something wrong with the connection at first, but since i am able to see my cursor and as i just posted am able to open command prompt and task manager in safe mode with command prompt i've realized it isn't the screen or the connection unfortunately.

Not sure what to give you as far as specs, its a HP Pavilion Notebook Entertainment PC Model# dv6-1237ca. Runs Windows Vista Home 32bit i believe. All factory parts.

Chewbawka

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

The anti-virus that came pre-loaded on the computer. Cannot recall the name.
The last thing i was doing was streaming video.

Hi :)

Umm you realise Safe mode uses VERY basic graphics so it could still be screen or Inverter ?

And PLEASE answer my question about WHAT you were doing before this occurred ?

All the best Brett :)

Chewbawka

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

I was streaming video before it crashed and this problem started to occur.

Apologies i think we cross posted.... the streaming video could give a clue though....although you may not like the answer...

Its either video chip , inverter , screen or drivers...

The only one you can really test yourself is to replace the drivers with the latest from Hp`s support website...then its a repair shop like the ones I own for diagnosis...

Chewbawka

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

I am unable to connect to the internet when i start up in safe mode with command prompt, even when i open explorer.exe. I gather installing the latest drivers from Hp's support website would not be an option.

A friend figured it was a virus and suggested a fresh install. If it is the video chip, inverter, screen or drivers then that would just be a dead end.

My next question would be one of cost and if it is worth dumping money into my laptop. My laptop is over two years old doesn't really have any important files on it. I have no problem spending around $200 to get it fixed but past that it seems better to just look into a new laptop altogether. Whats your opinion on this? Also do you have any slight estimate as to the cost to get it fixed as for worst case scenario?

I am in the UK so prices would differ...my laptop repair company would diagnose it for a half hours labour (£27.50)

But I don't know about US prices...

Worst case is graphics chip gone on motherboard, entailing a new motherboard...and at least £200 plus (including labour)

With the graphics drivers..i meant you to download onto another machine , put them on a usb stick and install them in safe mode...although SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING should work...

Chewbawka

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Okay thank you very much for your help. I will try installing the new graphics drivers, hopefully it works.

Thanks again for all your help.

paraliagamer

Honorable
May 21, 2013