Laptop GPU And Three Beeps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MamuMogambo

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
I have a Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 I bought a few years ago. For an year or so, my laptop had been overheating. Normal usage temperatures were 60-70 degrees Celsius (sometimes above 90 too) and while playing games would jump above 95 before the laptop shut down after playing for 10 minutes. I had planned to clean my laptop thoroughly and apply new thermal paste but I kept postponing the task.
About a month ago I pressed the laptop's power button but all there was was these white lines on the screen and then three beeps. I shut the laptop off 'cause the beeps would continue. Although after trying turning on the laptop a few times it would turn on normally. But with time I had to give more and more tries to turn the laptop on. Its takes around 15-20 times turning the laptop on and off before it finally turns on normally.
So, I sent the laptop for repair. The guy said that the problem is in the GPU chip on the motherboard and the motherboard will have to be replaced. I brought the laptop back 'cause I don't want to spend that much money on repairing it.
I am typing this from the same laptop. I have thermal paste and all the stuff with me right now and am thinking of replacing the thermal paste 'cause I think that if I bring the normal temperatures down it might help with the problem.
Also, during my search for the solution I came across "Motherboard Reflow". I can try this risky method but that I might do when nothing works.
Do you guys think that changing the thermal paste might help? Also, I think that associated with the GPU problem is the speaker problem (not working), mic problem (not working) and probably the DVD and battery problems too.
Any advice is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.