Question Laptop GPU Fan Runs High Speed For No Reason - Sometimes for up to 5mins!

ajaz1986

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
I've just bought a used Asus MSI Strix 15 GL530GE laptop.
The spec is:
OS - Windows 10 Home Edition
CPU: i7-8750H
RAM: 8GB
OS Drive: 128GB SSD
Data Drive: 1TB SSD
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti

Initial Problem: When I bought the laptop, the fans would be running at high speed constantly and the seller said you must keep the laptop on the cooling pad. There are two fans inside (CPU + GPU) and the noise is coming from the GPU fan. I opened it up and found the wires on the fan were spliced and twisted together by hand + insulation tape and the thermal paste on the GPU heatsink wasn't fresh. The battery life was non-existent because of this.

I replaced the fan and applied fresh thermal paste. It's some arctic nano thermal paste I use in all my builds and has never let me down. I also switched off unnecessary items from boot menu.

Current Situation: Now, the laptop runs quieter for most of the time and the battery life is really good but sometimes... the GPU fan will decide to just run at full speed again for absolutely no reason. Sometimes it will happen on boot up, other times it could happen whilst I'm typing up an article, other times it could happen even if I just have the laptop idling beside me. It can last anywhere from 10s up to 5mins.

If anyone can please advise what might be the issue, I would really appreciate the help.