Laptop GPU (GT755M) Malfunctioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amcco1

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y510P with a single GT755M GPU. Whenever I attempt to play a game that is graphically intense, my game will become pixelated, freeze, and lead to my laptop restarting itself. When the game freezes, I can Alt+Tab out and I will have a notification stating "application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware". Then after about 10 seconds the laptop will restart itself. Right before it shuts off though, the GPU fan will go from being at a moderate speed to ludicrous speed.

I originally thought that the GPU was overheating, so I purchased a CoolerMaster Notepal U2 Plus (A cooling pad with adjustable fans.) for it. However seeming that this cooling pad did not fix this problem. I believe the GPU may be faulty or malfunctioning. I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations on how to fix this problem, and if other people think that my GPU is faulty, my laptop it still under warranty. I just do not want to send it in if the problem is fixable.

Here is a in game screenshot from State of Decay of when the game freezes and becomes pixelated.
http://gyazo.com/eb715012ad5447b8d48c66665363d05a

All replies are greatly appreciated. :pt1cable:

Warukyure

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Have you uninstalled/reinstalled grpahics drivers? Does your laptop have switchable graphics and have you went into the settings and set games to use Dedicated GPU instead of integrated?

Also try running a benchmark like 3dpro or anything for a little while to stress the GPU some.

Amcco1

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

It has switchable graphics, but I've got it set to use the dedicated gpu on any full screen applications. I have not tried benchmarking it. I'll try that though.

Warukyure

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Try to do the driver reinstall first, please. Just to test if a recent driver update messed up your computer. That way when you run the benchmarks/Stress test if it still happens it probably is a failed GPU.

Amcco1

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

I have updated the drivers. I even tried rolling back the drivers to the original ones and that did not fix it.

Warukyure

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Your GPU might be on the fritz, laptops (unless its MSI's MXM-class graphics) don't really have removable/upgradeable graphics, so you MIGHT be looking at replacing the entire motherboard ; ;

Oh and if you can, try plugging into a monitor or TV and tell me if you still get the same issues.

Amcco1

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

First I tried plugging into my desktop's monitor and I ran Fallout 3 for a while, after a few minutes it proceeded to do the same thing. Next I downloaded Heaven Benchmark, and ran it on basic, and it ran fine. Then I ran it on extreme, when it reached 80C degrees, the display driver would crash. Here is a screenshot. http://gyazo.com/098535fdc5e58a2bab9b811a7d402cc8

Status
Not open for further replies.