[SOLVED] Laptop GPU not recognized and laptop fan runs at full speed ?

Oct 8, 2020
I'm using a Asus X550CC, with the below mentioned specs:

i3-3217u
Nvidia GT720M
8gb ram
256SSD+500HDD
Windows 10 64bit (19042.1052)

What's wrong?
Until yesterday, everything was running fine, today i started the laptop and all of a sudden the laptop fan was running at full speed, no problems with the laptop whatsoever, I launched a game and noticed it was lagging, so i restarted the laptop and the had the same issue, I tried opening Nvidia control panel and it didnt open either, so, I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers, and they came up with a "this driver is not compatible with your specs" message, so thinking it was a driver problem i uninstalled the current drivers and now the gpu simply wont show up, neither windows nor ubuntu, tried, it doesnt show up on device manager, gpu-z, system info, anywhere and the fan spins at max rpm all the time. Is my GPU dead? The laptop is about 7 years old at this point but functions just fine, matter of fact im currently typing this message on that laptop, should I switch laptops now? or is it safe to use it as it is?
Any help would be awesome.

Solution

i3-3217u
Nvidia GT720M
8gb ram
256SSD+500HDD

What's wrong?
Until yesterday, everything was running fine, today i started the laptop and all of a sudden the laptop fan was running at full speed, no problems with the laptop whatsoever, I launched a game and noticed it was lagging, so i restarted the laptop and the had the same issue, I tried opening Nvidia control panel and it didnt open either, so, I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers, and they came up with a "this driver is not compatible with your specs" message, so thinking it was a driver problem i uninstalled the current drivers and now the gpu simply wont show up, neither windows nor...

i3-3217u
Nvidia GT720M
8gb ram
256SSD+500HDD

What's wrong?
Until yesterday, everything was running fine, today i started the laptop and all of a sudden the laptop fan was running at full speed, no problems with the laptop whatsoever, I launched a game and noticed it was lagging, so i restarted the laptop and the had the same issue, I tried opening Nvidia control panel and it didnt open either, so, I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers, and they came up with a "this driver is not compatible with your specs" message, so thinking it was a driver problem i uninstalled the current drivers and now the gpu simply wont show up, neither windows nor ubuntu, tried, it doesnt show up on device manager, gpu-z, system info, anywhere and the fan spins at max rpm all the time. Is my GPU dead? The laptop is about 7 years old at this point but functions just fine, matter of fact im currently typing this message on that laptop, should I switch laptops now? or is it safe to use it as it is?
Any help would be awesome.
GT 720M is a GF117 gpu which is Fermi, this is the last driver to support fermi. it should work on your notebook.

Solution