Question Laptop GPU nowhere to be found after 1903 build update

Aug 21, 2019
I know there are many cases like mine, but non of them are totally related to mine atleast they can use ddu uninstaller, but for me its not detect even for ddu or cpu-z or windows system information or bios or hidden devices in device manager
I am using msi ge62vr 7rf apache pro
its has non switchable ( optimus) 1060 GTX gpu along with integrated intel 630HD
I even tried to update to the latest bios from the official website, but still not found.
And btw even when i try to update intel 630 HD graphics i cant find the default windows nvidia driver
Device manager (with show hidden devices) : View: https://imgur.com/a73MQZO

GPU-Z : View: https://imgur.com/a/NAx7Ilh

Not sure what you mean by non-switchable, as it looks like the laptop has both. Intel for 2D and Nvidia for 3D. If it is anything like my laptop, there is also a setting in the BIOS that controls how it is switched (I can have mine not detect the Nvidia card at all, or use the Nvidia card all the time, for example). I don't know how MSI does it, so you might want to take a look in the BIOS if you haven't yet.

Also, so said you went to the MSI site for a BIOS update. Did you grab the latest Nvidia drivers while you were there?
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GE62VR-7RF-Apache-Pro#down-driver&Win10 64

Aug 21, 2019
Not sure what you mean by non-switchable, as it looks like the laptop has both. Intel for 2D and Nvidia for 3D. If it is anything like my laptop, there is also a setting in the BIOS that controls how it is switched (I can have mine not detect the Nvidia card at all, or use the Nvidia card all the time, for example). I don't know how MSI does it, so you might want to take a look in the BIOS if you haven't yet.

Also, so said you went to the MSI site for a BIOS update. Did you grab the latest Nvidia drivers while you were there?
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GE62VR-7RF-Apache-Pro#down-driver&Win10 64

"there is also a setting in the BIOS that controls how it is switched " You have this because your motherboard has north and south bridges and with that primary gpu changes, but those are like some laptops, but for non switchable laptops like mine cpu display driver works primary but for some of the application that has gpu support can use my gpu .
"Did you grab the latest Nvidia drivers while you were there?" yes i did from both msi site and nvidia site, and even both standard and DCH both are incompatible

Aug 21, 2019
I think it's not damaged or not working
Like I said my laptop doesn't have switchable graphics in motherboard, where onboard graphics can be disabled or changed
If any one of graphic driver stopped working, then whole motherboard won't work.

Good! Did you see the card when you disassembled? Was it just plugged in, or soldered on somehow?

I mean, I don't know what else to tell you except possibly to:
  1. Take it to someone who knows their stuff who can physically look at the machine and make sure something wasn't missed (we can only see so much on a forum).
  2. Look on ebay or similar site for a replacement video card that fits your model.
  3. Even though you are out of warranty, contact MSI anyway and see if they have any recommendations.

Well, all I see on that screen is CPU, memory, and Wifi info. Unless you remember seeing your Nvidia card on that screen in the past, that doesn't appear to be it. But on that note, if you want to share other BIOS screens, we may notice something.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019
Well, all I see on that screen is CPU, memory, and Wifi info. Unless you remember seeing your Nvidia card on that screen in the past, that doesn't appear to be it. But on that note, if you want to share other BIOS screens, we may notice something.
Did you see the unknown driver under number of processers, that's where I see my gpu every time before

Aug 21, 2019
Did you see the unknown driver under number of processers, that's where I see my gpu every time before

OK, that's why I asked (if you saw it there before). Again, it would be very hard to narrow down, as the BIOS only sees that a part is there. Since the BIOS suddenly can't tell you what it is, that almost certainly is an indication that the device is damaged/not responding in some way. Definitely a hardware issue.

Aug 21, 2019
OK, that's why I asked (if you saw it there before). Again, it would be very hard to narrow down, as the BIOS only sees that a part is there. Since the BIOS suddenly can't tell you what it is, that almost certainly is an indication that the device is damaged/not responding in some way. Definitely a hardware issue.
It wasn't there until now, today I installed an old version build of windows 10 that's how I was able to see that

TRENDING THREADS