[SOLVED] Laptop GPU overheating

Sep 10, 2021
Hello guys, it's my first post here.
I'll start to ask for apologizes for my poor English and maybe if it's not the right place to ask for help

I'm using an old dinosaur here, the HP Pavilion DV7 6163cl. This laptop has an i7 2670QM and graphic card Radeon 6770m
A long short story, I made an internal cleaning, removing all the dust and re-applying a new thermal paste in the CPU and GPU. This time I'm using a Thermal Grizzly. After all these months, I had good temperatures keeping under 60ºC for normal use and idle. When I was playing, the temperatures were around 70~80ºC for both GPU and CPU
Two weeks ago, suddenly, the graphic card start to overheat a lot! Reaching 100ºC just to open a game.

I don't have any idea about what is happening here. I already disassemble my laptop and applied again the thermal past and nothing. Today I applied WD-40 in the fan, in a try to lube that. Nothing too.
Also, I already tried different versions of that GPU driver and tried to reinstall the Windows. And nothing again...

There is some possibility to be physical damage to the fan? Because I don't know what more I can do.

Thanks for your time, folks!

E5VLG4A.jpg
9T9vgus.jpg

Solution
I'll start to ask for apologizes for my poor English and maybe if it's not the right place to ask for help

I'm using an old dinosaur here, the HP Pavilion DV7 6163cl. This laptop has an i7 2670QM and graphic card Radeon 6770m
A long short story, I made an internal cleaning, removing all the dust and re-applying a new thermal paste in the CPU and GPU. This time I'm using a Thermal Grizzly. After all these months, I had good temperatures keeping under 60ºC for normal use and idle. When I was playing, the temperatures were around 70~80ºC for both GPU and CPU
Two weeks ago, suddenly, the graphic card start to overheat a lot! Reaching 100ºC just to open a game.

I don't have any idea about what is...

I don't have any idea about what is happening here. I already disassemble my laptop and applied again the thermal past and nothing. Today I applied WD-40 in the fan, in a try to lube that. Nothing too.
Also, I already tried different versions of that GPU driver and tried to reinstall the Windows. And nothing again...

There is some possibility to be physical damage to the fan? Because I don't know what more I can do.

Thanks for your time, folks!

E5VLG4A.jpg
9T9vgus.jpg
Kryonaut is a no no for longetivity in laptops, it pumps out with ease. Good for pc and overclocking, bad for longetivity and laptop. i suggest you use Gelid GC Extreme or Arctic MX4 and MX5. They're both perform real great to laptops.

Also if you checked that your fans are blowing air perfectly like it was after cleaning, then there is no problem with the fans.

Last edited:
Solution