Question Laptop GPU spikes to 100% when gaming ?

Aug 26, 2022
Efficiently,
Laptop, i7 9750h, RTX 2060
2 years of owning, started having problems last few months
I can play at over 100 fps Apex/Rainbow6, but it randomly has fps crashes to 20/30 and I can see in task manager my GPU jumps from 60/70% to 100% when that happens. CPU is usually at 30/40%, as it's GPU intensive (the games).

League of Legends works normally at 140 fps, without any crashes.

I've formatted the PC today, installed drivers, etc. Problem persists.

Thanks!

Hey there,

It's most likely the CPU or GPU are throttling. If after 2 years, you haven't taken it apart to clean it, chances are it's very grubby inside, and the fans are clogged further causing heat issues, which means the CPU or GPU have to dial back a bit to keep within temps.

I'd suggest taking it apart and giving it a good clean with a can of compressed air. If you're handy enough, then I'd also suggest reaplacing thermal paste on both the CPU and GPU to make sure that's not the issue either.

What make/model is the laptop. Normally there will be a vid of a teardown and replace thermal paste.

You can also look at a laptop cooling pad. Although it doesn't effect gaming temps too much, it does help at idle, and low load scenarios.

Sep 24, 2022
Efficiently,
Laptop, i7 9750h, RTX 2060
2 years of owning, started having problems last few months
I can play at over 100 fps Apex/Rainbow6, but it randomly has fps crashes to 20/30 and I can see in task manager my GPU jumps from 60/70% to 100% when that happens. CPU is usually at 30/40%, as it's GPU intensive (the games).

League of Legends works normally at 140 fps, without any crashes.

I've formatted the PC today, installed drivers, etc. Problem persists.

Thanks!

As others have told you, it's probably throttling due to heat. Some told you to clean your laptop. I have good experience so far with a just short of two years old laptop with vacuuming it from the outside where the fans pull air in and out. I would personally advice against trying to open a laptop (unless you've done it before and are really adept at it) because it may easily break things, keys on the keyboard and what not, depending on how the laptop has been put together. Some modern laps come with nice filters to filter out some of the dust etc. and if you have one of those you can see when that the lap gets white from dust where it takes in air, and it's easy to see it getting cleaned a bit (returning to more normal color) when you vacuum it. I do it perhaps one every 1-2 months, but it may be even better to do it every week or other. I have no heat problems so far and the lap runs pretty quiet even on heavier loads.