Laptop GPU upgrade?

Sep 14, 2018
I have an MSI GL72m 7RDX gaming laptop, with a GeForce GTX 1050 and i7 7th gen processor. Is it possible to upgrade my GPU to say, a GTX 1070 or 1070 ti? Would it even be worth it to upgrade, or would I be better of buying an entirely new laptop?

Solution
Generally, unless you are told different by the documentation for your laptop, the GPU is not upgradeable. With laptops it's best to buy them configured as you want them from the start, for the main components that is. Things like ram and hard drives/SSDs are usually replaceable.
Generally, unless you are told different by the documentation for your laptop, the GPU is not upgradeable. With laptops it's best to buy them configured as you want them from the start, for the main components that is. Things like ram and hard drives/SSDs are usually replaceable.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

That Laptop uses an MXM GPU which means it is removable and in theory upgradeable. That said you may need to resort to eBay to purchase such a card

https://www.ebay.com/i/263858446028?chn=ps

If I were you though I would contact MSI to ensure thermally and power wise it will work. It probably will, but a quick email can't hurt.

In addition to that there can be vbios incompatibilities, you definitely want to contact MSI about it.