Laptop graphics cards

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

...yet I'd prefer if they all fit nicely, efficently and cooly into my laptop, so that when I travel I'd have everything with me.

It's a nice dream...

Hahaha I totally agree, I would love to have 1TB in my lappy but in the near future I am thinking 80-120GB is still going to be the norm. mainly due to the obvious heat issues.

I was just stating that most people can take with them what they really need to on an 80-120GB laptop HD. An external NAS is great especially for people have have a Laptop and a PC or more.

Yep, the biggest 'efficient' laptop drive I've seen sofar is the 160GB ones.

As for NAS, yeah I love it, and I may make them all NAS soon enough when I finally swap out my SMC for the D-link XtremeN I got. It support USB based external HDs I'll be able to add al of them to it, and I might even be able to add on of my external LG-Burners which would be cool.

Still prefer firewire, but until I get FireWire800 the difference will be minor, and the flexabilty will be more important than anything.

My dad got my sister a new MyBook from WD and it's sweet, although the st00pid thing is silver/white if you want F800 support! Perfect for MAc users like her, but not for sleek PCs! :roll:

Although of course it's not really about the looks, but I'd prefer black if it were an option, just doesn't show wear as much.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
external gfx cards the asus xg station lets u either display on moniter or notebook screen, and its jus a cse as well u put any pcie card in it, persoanlly i am waiting on this, so i wont hav to buy a desktop for gaming with my laptop, some ppl compalin that u cant take it on the road with u, well i dont expect to be gaming much when i was out anyways, but i guess u can stil buy a laptop with decent gfx integrated

gtr

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
I have the X1400 and it is horrible. It barely runs art of war and the cinematic scenes are not viewable. What other card is this compared to? 7300gs or 9700 pro? My old notebook had the 9600 ati and I don't notice any performance gains with the X1400.

This is the best graphic card offed for this dell E1505. The reason i bought this laptop was because Slick deals had a special 30% code and thought this T7400cpu will be able to push these type of games but I was wrong :(

I have the X1400 and it is horrible. It barely runs art of war and the cinematic scenes are not viewable. What other card is this compared to? 7300gs or 9700 pro? My old notebook had the 9600 ati and I don't notice any performance gains with the X1400.

Well they're all pretty close to the same. Remember the MR9700 is just an OC'ed MR9600, so little difference from you old card, same with the GF7300GS, and the X1400 isn't much more powerful either and may have prompted your games to enable feature automatically that before weren't enabled thus destroying any benefit you might have seen.

This is the best graphic card offed for this dell E1505. The reason i bought this laptop was because Slick deals had a special 30% code and thought this T7400cpu will be able to push these type of games but I was wrong :(

Ah DELL, seems attractive until you own one. I had the similar model prior to it (the 5150 was essetnially replaced by the 1505), and unless the game is CPU heavy you won't see much difference between a previous PM 1.73ghz like mine and you 2.16 ghz Merom.
I thought the P42.8ghzHT would help makeup for the FX5200 in games but it didn't. However I did like it's abilities with multimedia editing tasks.
So if the main rle of your computer is gaming you'll wanna look for an Mobility X1600, GFGO7600 or GFGO7700 at least. However they are supposed to launch the GGO8x series soon;
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20070213225900.html

So I'd wait for them if I were you, or at least for them to push down the other solutions like the GF7900GS.

gtr

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
I like the 7900gs that dell offers but wish they offer to all of their computers instead of their larger tank models.

It'll be nice if we can build laptop like we do with desktops.

bLAKEpERKINS

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
FYI, DELL = 5hit (not swearing i used a 5 instead of a s, aren't i clever?).

Here in Australia anyway. had a look for a uni laptop (plan on doing sum gaming during the lectures :p), and if i wanted a lappy with any decent performance i'd have to spend around 2500, while i could goto the local internet store and buy a ASUS F3jp that comes with a x1700 (as opposed to a x1600). Plus with this model in a year or 2 (or when ever they stop producing the T7x00) i can drop in another chip, giving me a boost in performance.

Having never purchased a dell, i am blissfully unaware if you can do the same for a dell. The option for the 7900 and a 2gb stick of ram (max of 4), IMO is not worth the 500+ that you'll spend on the machine.

all i had to do is put up with the month it takes for the F3 to arrive from Malaysia :| *sigh*

bLAKE

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Just my 2 cents because my room mate has one....

My friend has an Inspiron 9400 with a 7900GS. The thing rocks, it's a beautiful machine. Displays all his games at max everything (WoW, CS Source)

My other friend also has one in his XPS 410 and he loves it as well.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
If you want to play Oblivion, scratch that X1400 from your list... I have that one and it does great with WoW, but that's about it. I'm happy I have it over the Intel, but I wish I'd have gotten a laptop with the 7900GS.

edoz

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Toshiba Satellite can be customized with 1gb ram Geforce go 7600 for under $900 dollars.--I used notebookcheck.net to check what cards could be used for gaming and on their score it is number 2...number 1 being the best.(also notebookcheck can be changed to english language if you get on the german page). It is the cheapest gaming laptop I could find right now. Dell comes in second with that x1400 gfx card...but according to your posts I wouldn't touch that. http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cdetland.to?seg=HHO&poid=364866&fgpn=PSAD0U-05P01C