[SOLVED] Laptop Graphics chip fails

Rockezz Sezer

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
My laptop died few months ago. The technician said I've lost my graphics chip along with burnt bios chips. He replaced the bios chips. He also changed the graphics chip, its a third party chip from china. My laptop is lenovo y700. Now everything works fine.
However, when I play demanding games such as Rage 2 and so on, my graphic chip can handle it for around 30 minutes (I have not timed it). Then it fails.
To revive it again I have to follow lengthy steps. I also used FurMark to benchmark my graphics chip. After 30 minutes chip fails for this too. I thought it was the temperature, but having 90 degrees Celsius seems normal in the chart.
Is there any way I could limit my graphics card usage so it won't fail?

Solution
The only way you can limit your GPU's load is to reduce the in-game details, reduce the resolution at which you game and ofc, which is a more viable option, not run the game at all. You could've replaced he motherboard, which would've en a better option as opposed to soldering on a third party(likely faulty) GPU onto the board.

Might want to see if you have any BIOS updates pending for your laptop, that might help since you replaced the BIOS chip with an older BIOS revision on it.

Lutfij

Titan
The only way you can limit your GPU's load is to reduce the in-game details, reduce the resolution at which you game and ofc, which is a more viable option, not run the game at all. You could've replaced he motherboard, which would've en a better option as opposed to soldering on a third party(likely faulty) GPU onto the board.

Might want to see if you have any BIOS updates pending for your laptop, that might help since you replaced the BIOS chip with an older BIOS revision on it.

Solution