Laptop Gtx 960M performing really poorly

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobocow

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
Hey guys ! So i have a friend of mine who bought an acer laptop and recently he told me that with this " gaming laptop" he is having some very bad frame drops as well as stutter while playing game like AC Syndicate, The Witcher 3 or even Rocket League. I have spent the whole afternoon on skype with him trying to figure out what was the problem but here I am, the frame drops and stutter are still here.

He is running those games at the lowest settings possible, without any nvidia artworks. Whenever he launches ACS, he would get 30 fps or a little bit more, but one or two seconds later, the fps drops, and he starts to get 10-13 fps permenantly.

At first, i thought that the problem would be the Intel integrated graphics carrd ( hd 530 ), so I chose to use Nvidia grahics card in the Nvidia Panel, I also set the power settings to best performances. I ran the games by right clicking the .exe file and runs with the Nvidia graphics card but still no luck.

I tried to disable the intel hd 530 in device manager, but we couldn't even run a single game after.

I then downloaded the NvGPUStateViewer to see if the gtx 960m was actually running during a heavy load, and the indicator turned into ON while i was trying to play ACS which, i guess, means that the gtx 960m is functionning while gaming.

So what I don't understand now is why are we getting this poor performance even though the gtx 960m is running.

Btw my freind have a second monitor that is plugged into his laptop hdmi port with a vga to hdmi concerter. I also checked dxdiag, for both monitor, the gpu used is intel graphics 530.

I really hope that you can help me, thanks a lot.

Laptops with discrete GPUs may have settings in the driver (or in this case nVidia Control Panel) to determine which GPU is used. Make sure his is set to use the 960M when he is playing his games.
This may also depend on whether the system is plugged in or on battery. Check in Power settings for that too.

hobocow

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016

Thanks for the reply, i already chose in the nvidia panel that it should use the gtx 960m in the global settings, and the laptop is always charged.

Also check in the Power settings anyway. I'm just getting into this area myself on a laptop with a 370M, and there appear to be multiple places where this can be set; I've not yet found if there are any conflicts, or which takes priority, so yours could be different from mine.

hobocow

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016

oops, i missclicked, i didn't mean to mark your answer as the solution, anyway, i already selected high consumption and high performances.

hobocow

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016

So far this is the only option i can find in the battery settings, but as i said, i downloaded a program to see if the gtx 960m was actually running during a heavy load, and it was positive. So i really can't figure what is the problem. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.