Laptop Hard drive Failing

A_C

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
I've had an Asus Ultrabook since 2012, and recently I've noticed signs of hard drive failure, most notably extreme increases in boot time, although waking from sleep mode is as fast as normal. Sometimes it won't boot at all without going into the recovery options several times. I have the drive plugged into my desktop and it is recognized in the BIOS menu, but when I try to open disk management it won't make it past the "Connecting to Virtual Disk Service" phase. Trying to open a disk backup program also stays in the loading phase indefinitely with the failing drive connected.

I realize the chances are slim, but I'd like to get some things backed up off the hard drive if at all possible. It's a Samsung/ Seagate Spinpoint 750 GB HDD

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Solution
Hi there A_C,

It looks like that the drive is in a poor condition.
As your OS hangs, I believe you will need to use some data recovery tool for DOS mode.
One of those is the Ubuntu Live CD. You will need a CD or a flash drive, which you will boot from. In case the drive is accessible under Ubuntu, you should really back up the data ASAP. Check this thread out: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267999-32-recover-data-mode

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD :)

A_C

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

Explorer will show my C and D drives as normal and then an F drive shows up with no info and trying to open it loads for a moment before explorer stops responding and needs to be closed.

Hi there A_C,

It looks like that the drive is in a poor condition.
As your OS hangs, I believe you will need to use some data recovery tool for DOS mode.
One of those is the Ubuntu Live CD. You will need a CD or a flash drive, which you will boot from. In case the drive is accessible under Ubuntu, you should really back up the data ASAP. Check this thread out: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267999-32-recover-data-mode

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution