Question Laptop has slowed down to a crawl

Nov 2, 2019
hello, i have a friend who owns a laptop and he recently told me that since 3 days ago, his laptop has been running bad, we live pretty far from each other so i installed teamviewer on his PC

when i tried to figure out his problem, i found that "dwp.exe" was hogging all the GPU for some reason which i imagined was what was causing the issue, however trying to google the solution myself has lead me nowhere but this thread of people who all told me to try different solution none of which worked

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...sage-gpu/a14dae9b-8faf-4920-a237-75ebac8073f5

my friend also claim that he rarely hear a weird "STONK" noise since the problem happened, i tried some HDD utility like HDDScan, Seagate Seatools and HDTune, i learned that my friend has a 1000 GB hard disk and a 128 GB SSD installed on his laptop however for some reason HDDScan refuses to give me the S.M.A.R.T stats of his drive and HDTune is unable to do that on his 128 GB SSD, returning instead a bunch of "unknown values"

i don't know what else i can do other than suggesting my friend to either reinstall windows or better yet, change his SSD whole and reinstall windows, any other suggestion about what can i try to do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
State: Model: HGST HTS541010A7E630 Firmware: SE0O Serial: ATA LBA: 1953525168 (1000 GB) Report By: HDDSCAN v4.1 Report Date: 02/11/2019 12:30:36 Model: SAMSUNG MZNLF128HCHP-000 Firmware: FXT2 Serial: ATA LBA: 250069680 (128 GB) Report By: HDDSCAN v4.1 Report Date: 02/11/2019 12:33:03

suggested op run WD data lifeguard for windows on Hitachi drive, as they made by WD now, it might work??
Suggested op try Samsung Magician on SSD

You should tell friend that 120gb ssd isn't ideal size for win 10 and they might need a newer bigger one.

unknown.png

Looks like he needs a new one anyway - https://superuser.com/questions/240...o-end-error-fail-what-does-it-mean-what-could

Colif

Win 11 Master
DWP.exe is actually DWM.exe, its a typo in op.

DWM.exe = Windows Desktop manager. It runs the graphics for the desktop itself. Any application that wants to use the graphics of PC has to go through DWM. Even Steam.

Shame there is no GPU tab in Resource monitor as you cannot see what is actually using GPU. If friend knew what they were doing, you could use Process explorer but I think its likely its way too much info for your friend to deal with :)

Nov 2, 2019
I told my friend to try a factory reset following this guide in Italian

However his issue still persist, he also told me all his data is still intact, is that normal? I assumed a factory reset would delete some of the stuff on his c: drive (the one where windows is installed) even when using the option to save the data