Laptop has suddenly become very slow.

Aaron King

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015
Before I begin I would like to state that I am not good with computers. But I have done all of the basic procedures to speed it up. (ex. Defragmenting, Updating Drivers, Reboot, Killing background programs, Adware/Spyware scans.) I haven't cleaned out my registry yet because as I said I am not good with computers and I would prefer to avoid causing any permanent damage.

My computer is a Toshiba Satellite C55-A Laptop. Specs are as follows.

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU: Intel i3-3120M CPU 2.5GHz (Dual Core)
Video Card: Intel (R) HD Graphics 4000
32MB of dedicated video RAM (I am unsure how to increase this.)
1.8GB total memory.
Memory: 6GB of RAM
Hard Drive: 689.3GB total with 382.6GB free
(Let me know if you need any more specs.)

Though I know this is not a gaming computer I am still able to run most games such as, The Elder Scrolls V, Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 3, League of Legends, Minecraft and an emulator for Playstation 2. I mostly play minecraft and that is where I notice the biggest drop in speed. When I first bought my laptop I could run Minecraft (With optifine, a mod meant to increase frames and stability) on the lowest quality settings with around 150-200 frames and 60-100 while recording. As of late I only get 60 frames max when not recording and I have only had my computer for a year. I have 3GB of my ram dedicated to Minecraft and the only other non-background process I run is itunes. Also I was looking at my computer's usage while not running anything and this is my usage.

http://gyazo.com/4ae1c2cca4edf63045f307102127fec0

At the time of the screenshot my temperatures were as follows.
CPU: 134 F
GPU: 136 F
Mainboard: 123 F

Now after I start Minecraft my usage becomes this.

http://gyazo.com/c6b51a4a28db18acbba0ec40a47ae039

And my temperatures are as follows.

CPU: 168 F
GPU: 170 F
Mainboard: 154 F

I also noticed that my Disc was at 100% usage at all times. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. Also I do not overcolock my processor as I have heard that it can cause damage to your computer. If you need any more information let me know.

Edit: I also usually have skype running but did not when I took the screenshots but it does not alter the data very much.

TRENDING THREADS