Laptop HDD for backup storage

Jan 21, 2019
Hi all,

Maybe this has been posted, so sorry for the duplicate.

So I have an old laptop that I took the HDD out of to put in my custom desktop I built as a second drive.

The laptop (dell 14z 2524 I think) has windows 7 with the free upgrade to 10 OS. I had my buddy wipe it clean and got rid of the OS. So it was empty.

When I plug it into my new pc (Msi B150i mobo) the HDD does read as my back up. I have a samsung 850 sad with OS and all that. So the problem I have is the Intel Rapid Tech says my Laptop HDD is incompatible? And it won’t show in disk management.

Any thoughts on the problem cause I can’t seem to use it?

Thanks

These two seem contradictory. Do you mean that the LT HD reads in BIOS but not in device manager?

Okay. Wasn't sure if the first was in BIOS or not.

I would see if that drive is still set as a boot drive. Can you unplug your OS drive and boot off a PE USB or CD (like Hiren's) to see if it's available/accessible? If yes see if you can diskpart-clean it.

Pre-installed Environment.
Just download and create Hiren's boot USB. It'll give you a bunch of tools you can run as well. If the drive is still a 'boot drive' Windows sometimes will stop access to protect the integrity of the real OS drive (although it is usually still visible in disk management).
If you see it in the PE you'll want to completely erase all data by going into diskpart and then cleaning the drive.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10

Jan 21, 2019

So I took a snip of my Intel RST
Controller 0, Port 1,
Port location: Internal
Type: Sata hard disk
Usage: Unknown
size:
Serial number: WX7...
Model WDC: WD500...
Firmware: 0101A01

Advanced
System disk: no