laptop HDD in my new desktop, works but slow

Walshinator

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
My old gaming laptop broke (ASUS G75VW) and I had built a new computer, to save money I used the hard drives from the laptop (2 750GB HDDs). The computer booted up like nothing had changed except it's impossible to change the resolution (stuck on lowest setting) and a lot of software is very slow on t or not working (JAVA cannot even update, getting error 1618). Anyways, I'm just wondering if there is anything i can do short of having to wiping them, as I don't have anything to backup onto and I don't want to have to buy/torrent a new copy of windows.

Solution
Hey there, Walshinator.

Just as @Petrossa correctly stated, you shouldn't transfer a drive with an already installed OS which has been setup for a different system. The whole OS has already been configured for the different hardware in your old computer, so are most of the programs you've installed. You could try installing the correct drivers, as suggested above, but I think you might have tons of issues in the future with conflicts and errors. Unfortunately, the best solution would be a fresh install of Windows, no matter how hard you'd like to avoid that. It's remarkable that this has worked at all. Usually in these types of situations the new motherboard should be the same, or at least a pretty similar model to the old one for this...
It's always going to be a messy prospect transplanting a system drive from one system to another unless they are identical / very similar.
Suspect that drivers might be an issue here and would need installing.
Also uninstall any of the laptop drivers/software that might still be hanging around.

Hey there, Walshinator.

Just as @Petrossa correctly stated, you shouldn't transfer a drive with an already installed OS which has been setup for a different system. The whole OS has already been configured for the different hardware in your old computer, so are most of the programs you've installed. You could try installing the correct drivers, as suggested above, but I think you might have tons of issues in the future with conflicts and errors. Unfortunately, the best solution would be a fresh install of Windows, no matter how hard you'd like to avoid that. It's remarkable that this has worked at all. Usually in these types of situations the new motherboard should be the same, or at least a pretty similar model to the old one for this to work.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Solution