[SOLVED] Laptop HDD - Putting system to sleep puts wear/stress on HDD?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Hi all,

I put my laptop on sleep often when I am not using it so save power and I have an HDD. Right now I am having concerns with it possibly failing and would like to use it for as long as possible before getting a new one.

Does anyone know if using the sleep mode as in "windows stays on but uses low power" puts wear/stress on the HDD every time I have to wake up my laptop again?

Solution
Hi ShangWang.

Letting hard drives run constantly vs. powering them down: There is no definitive research showing that hard drives which are powered off and on (whether it be sleep mode, turning the computer off, etc), suffer more damage than those running constantly.

Your HDD can last for another 5 minutes or another 10 years.

What is important is that your important files are backed up somewhere in the event of your HDD dying.
Hi ShangWang.

Letting hard drives run constantly vs. powering them down: There is no definitive research showing that hard drives which are powered off and on (whether it be sleep mode, turning the computer off, etc), suffer more damage than those running constantly.

What is important is that your important files are backed up somewhere in the event of your HDD dying.

Solution

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Hi ShangWang.

Thanks, however do you think infrequent clicking sounds from the HDD is normal?
I get mine maybe every 30 minutes, 15 minutes, 3 hours, or even once a full day of use.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Clicking could be due to waking up from standby, or it might be due to background scanning. Check the SMART report.
I've done many scans, and check ups, health of HDD is completely healthy but sometimes shows stuttering and freezing, I have an odd HDD case. That's why I'm wondering about idle clicks.