[SOLVED] Laptop HDD suddenly not initialized - what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anindyam1272

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2014
Hi guys, I have an Acer Predator laptop that has a 500GB primary SSD and a secondary 1TB HDD.

I recently upgraded my SSD from the stock 128GB to the 500GB one. Today, I remembered that there was a file that I forgot to backup from the old SSD so I opened my laptop and reinstalled the old SSD just to copy that file. The old SSD had Windows installed so I just booted the laptop after swapping it in.

While doing so, I did not disconnect the HDD. After I was done copying the file from the old SSD, I put the newer SSD back in.
But now when I booted Windows up, my HDD was not visible in the explorer. I opened the Windows disk management tool and I was presented with a wizard which said that I had to initialize the disk before it could be read. (https://ibb.co/PMPMbKh)

I tried clicking OK on the wizard in the above photo but then another error saying 'incorrect function' popped up.

I have no idea how to access my HDD files now.
Is there any way to restore my HDD back to the way it was? Please help me.

Solution
Can you retrieve the SMART data with a tool such as CrystalDiskInfo? If not, then the drive is most likely dead, probably with an internal fault.
Status
Not open for further replies.