Question Laptop HDD to Desktop: How do I get it done? And how do I view the data, if any?

ArjunY

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
I hope all of you are doing well.

I recently salvaged a Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 2.5'' HDD from my 2013 Alienware M14x R2, a laptop that didn't boot since last year, and I intend to repurpose the HDD by moving it into my main system.

So I wanted to ask, once I install it in my main system, will it straightaway display the volume in the System, or will I have to follow some more steps, or will I have to format the HDD to be able to use it? Also, is there any way that I can straightaway access the HDD's data once I install it (though I think I had already initially taken a backup, while I do not clearly recollect at the moment)

I'm just confused about this, and I'd be glad if someone could help me out with the same. :D

I'd expect it to be seen In Disk Management in your main system after the move and be usable like any other drive.

Does the drive contain an operating system or is it just data?

If you format it, everything on it will be lost. Maybe that's OK with you. You decide.

ArjunY

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
I'd expect it to be seen In Disk Management in your main system after the move and be usable like any other drive.

Does the drive contain an operating system or is it just data?

If you format it, everything on it will be lost. Maybe that's OK with you. You decide.

Yes, it's an OS drive, that's why I'm a little puzzled.

And is my main system at any kind of risk in this kind of operation, or moving a Laptop HDD in a Desktop a very normal and hassle-free process?