Question laptop heating to 90c then shutting down tried everything i could think of

Jul 9, 2019
I have a Compaq Presario CQ57 with a I3 M 370
im using it as a plex server as its a spare laptop i never use

It has always ran hot but it recently got the the point where within 5 mins of booting it got to 90c then shut down
i took it apart to clean dust new thermal paste ect and it didnt help
i now have the compounds spread out not in casing as show in this image below
View: https://i.imgur.com/bFTgUEN.jpg

it now has new thermal paste a massive heat sink from a Pentium 4 PC (notoriously hot cpu that needed a big heat-sink)
it should easily be able to cope with the normal load of a 2011 laptop cpu running just plex
nope it still heats up to 90c

any suggestions?
the only idea i have left is replacing the CPU as it might be damaged in someway? because when i used to use it for long periods of time it was always running very hot and loud

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I have a Compaq Presario CQ57 with a I3 M 370
im using it as a plex server as its a spare laptop i never use

It has always ran hot but it recently got the the point where within 5 mins of booting it got to 90c then shut down
i took it apart to clean dust new thermal paste ect and it didnt help
i now have the compounds spread out not in casing as show in this image below
View: https://i.imgur.com/bFTgUEN.jpg

it now has new thermal paste a massive heat sink from a Pentium 4 PC (notoriously hot cpu that needed a big heat-sink)
it should easily be able to cope with the normal load of a 2011 laptop cpu running just plex
nope it still heats up to 90c

any suggestions?
the only idea i have left is replacing the CPU as it might be damaged in someway? because when i used to use it for long periods of time it was always running very hot and loud

Are you able to replace the CPU in that mobo? It's not soldiered in? If you can replace it, that might be an idea if the laptop is worth putting the money into. Odd the temps are so high. I wonder why or if the CPU is indeed bad/damaged in some way. Not that you'd have room inside the laptop case, but just for testing purposes, have you tried mounting a fan on it to see if it drops the temps any? Also, how is the HS held down to the CPU? Retainer clips under the HS?

Found an older post here on Tom's that links to this: I also took a quick look online for prices and saw that someone is selling the entire mobo+fan+CPU for $45 on ebay. If not soldiered in, thats pretty cheap replacement if everything else works as it should. :)

Jul 9, 2019
Are you able to replace the CPU in that mobo? It's not soldiered in? If you can replace it, that might be an idea if the laptop is worth putting the money into. Odd the temps are so high. I wonder why or if the CPU is indeed bad/damaged in some way. Not that you'd have room inside the laptop case, but just for testing purposes, have you tried mounting a fan on it to see if it drops the temps any? Also, how is the HS held down to the CPU? Retainer clips under the HS?

Found an older post here on Tom's that links to this: I also took a quick look online for prices and saw that someone is selling the entire mobo+fan+CPU for $45 on ebay. If not soldiered in, thats pretty cheap replacement if everything else works as it should. :)
Just looked at ebay I can get a new CPU for £2.50 so I have ordered it
The heatsink is so heavy it doesn't really need anything to hold it down
I have used the original cooler attached to the motherboard when outside of its casing and it's the same