Question Laptop heats up way more than it used to do until some time ago.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Well, I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN517-51, i5 9300H + GTX 1650 + 16 GB ram, up until 2-3 months ago (i don't exactly remember) my laptop, could idle at 32 degree Celsius with the fans turned off and relying on passive cooling (starting a chrome tab etc. would fire them up, but that's beyond the point)

Now give it some time and the CPU fan will start rotating at 4.4k RPM with the GPU one at 3.8k RPM, along with 71 degrees for the cpu and 55 for the GPU (in celsius), all of this when it's idle.

Here are the changes i had done which i think could make a difference:-
1. Shifting from the pre-installed 256 GB Kingston SSD (don't remember the model) and 16 GB of optane to two 512 GB samsung pm981a

2. Reinstalling windows 10, i had to install all drivers and apps like acer nitrosense (the fan monitoring and temp checking program from Acer) and the usual GeForce experience etc. [I know I've downloaded those drivers from legit sites, drivers from Acer only and GeForce experience from nVidia]

3. Plugging it to a monitor, therefore i can understand that my dGPU can't stay idle anymore and will have to use it's fans but does the CPU get affected too? [Monitor is an acer ED320QR, 165Hz {set to 144Hz though, a 1650 can't push further than that even on Valorant}]

So i have some questions
1. The nitrosense app shows my CPU usage spiked up to 52 percent while it was idle as i am typing this (typing on my phone, the laptop is turned on and I'm watching it's temps etc., Everything else is turned off) and the max recorded temperature just after that spike was 92 degrees. What could make that happen?

2. I've read around that gaming laptops, even mainstream ones don't last more than 2-3 years, this Nitro 5 being a budget focused, could it be that it's meeting it's time?

3. I've tried cleaning the fans, opening it and clearing the dust inside, and have it put upon a stand [still the spikes occour]. Is there something else i could try? Except repasting?

4. I have to undervolt my laptop while playing games like Assassin's creed unity and still the CPU reaches 92 degrees. That's harmful for the components, right? I overclock my GPU too but the temps on that never went beyond 74-78 as far as i remember, it crashes otherwise (it did once i was trying to find the overclock limits while playing FF XV).

P.S.:- I've tallied the nitrosense temps with the intel XTU temps too, the package temperature and the temperature nitrosense shows are similar, so i don't think there are any chances of errors.

Last edited:

Nuwan Fernando

Distinguished
What you are saying is, even with a fresh install of windows you get spikes of CPU usage when idling? Did you check which process is doing that?

Maybe something is using your resources without your consent. Check the task manager.

Also what you can do is to reapply the thermal paste.

And finally, to minimize the temps, you can use a cooling pad.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
What you are saying is, even with a fresh install of windows you get spikes of CPU usage when idling? Did you check which process is doing that?

Maybe something is using your resources without your consent. Check the task manager.

Also what you can do is to reapply the thermal paste.

And finally, to minimize the temps, you can use a cooling pad.
Nah, the problems started after i installed windows on a new SSD and downloading all drivers etc. Again

Also, i already have a cooling stand, it doesn't have fans, rather an empty gap where the fans blow air out

None of the components are very high, most usage? 1.2% by McAfee webadvisor

Total CPU usage 5%

I don't see any reason for it to be at 74 degrees right now, that too with 4.4k RPM

Nuwan Fernando

Distinguished
Maybe a power profile setup in the original OS .

You are using an external Monitor. That means the DGPU will be always active. You know that there are heat pipes shared between CPU and the dGPU. So, if your dGPU is heating, it may transfer some thermals to the CPU as well.

If you think it's the OS and the driver problem, you can try getting the recovery media which will include the OS, drivers and factory settings.

https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/

further you can use the below to create a recovery media.

https://global-download.acer.com/GD...ITRO AN515-52&OS=ALL&LC=bg&BC=ACER&SC=EMEA_10

Last edited:

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Just one question, could it be the season change too, i mean, I'm from a place where the temperature goes from as low as 15 to somewhere around 30, but would it result in such drastic changes?

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
These temps were when i had 3-4 firefox tabs, a MS teams meeting, the team group opened in MS teams, and the nitrosense app running, is this nothing to worry about or risky?
IMG20220311113740.jpg