Question Laptop heats up while not connected to any power source

May 16, 2020
My Asus mid range gaming laptop would not start up because of over heating. What's very confusing is that I remove the battery and disconnect the power adapter over night. In the morning I connect the power supply (no battery) and it still would not start because it heats up and I can tell by the heat coming out of the vent despite having no power source and no battery connected over night! The only way I can get it to work relatively quickly is to press the power button for 30 seconds and place it in the fridge for a few minutes every time! Is there a way to fix that for good?

Spec13

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
Hi mate,

That definitely sounds like a major hardware fault. If the laptop is still under warranty, I would be returning it ASAP.

For any further troubleshooting, we will need more information about the system.

Cheers,

Trav

May 16, 2020
Hi mate,

That definitely sounds like a major hardware fault. If the laptop is still under warranty, I would be returning it ASAP.

For any further troubleshooting, we will need more information about the system.

Cheers,

Trav
Hi Trav. Unfortunately it's not under warranty anymore, it is 5 years old.
The laptop is Asus R510JK-DM214H here are the specs:
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-4710HQ - 6M Cache, 2.5 GHz up to 3.50 GHz
  • Memory: 12GB DRAM DDR3L
  • Hard drive: 1TB 5400 RPM 2.5 HDD
  • Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 850 4GB
  • Battery: 44WHrs, 4S1P, 4 cell Li-ion Battery Pack
  • Operating system: Windows 10 64bit
I was wondering if there are some internal capacitors that don't lose their charge after shutdown and this heats up the system on startup! not really sure what's going on.
What's even stranger is that once I get it up and running it never heats up or shuts down due to over heating even when rendering long HD videos that take up a lot of processing power and use the graphics card extensively.

Last edited: