Status
Not open for further replies.

Chadwick

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I need help deciding between two 13-in laptops:

- HP Pavilion
- Toshiba Satellite

Laptop price and warranty are about the same. The Toshiba has more L2 Cache, but the HP seems to beat it in everything else (CPU Speed, RAM, Hardrive size and speed, etc...). Based on my research the HP also appears to have a better graphics card.

So am I making too big a deal about the Toshiba having 4 times the Cache? Or is it important enough to ignore the other benefits of the HP?

Here are all the details of the two (HP on left, toshiba on right):

HP PAVILION vs TOSHIBA SATELLITE

CPU MODEL:....... AMD Athlon Neo X2 L335 vs Intel Pentium ULV SU4100

CPU SPEED:........ 1.6 GHz vs 1.3 GHz

L2 CACHE:.......... 512 KB vs 2 MB

RAM:................. 4 GB vs 3 GB

GRAPHICS:.......... 1928 MB ATI Radeon HD 3200 vs Intel GMA 4500MHD

HARDDRIVE:........ 320 GB Serial SATA vs 250 GB

HD SPEED:......... 7200 RPM vs 5400 RPM

USB Ports:......... 4 vs 3

OTHER PORTS:... Same on Both Laptops

SCREEN:............ 13.3 In, 1366 x 768 (native) (Both Laptops)

OS:................... Win7 Home-Prem 64 Bit (Both Laptops)

BATTERY............. 6-cell lithium-ion (Both Laptops)

WEIGHT & SIZE:.. About the same for both laptops

Thanks!

- Chad

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
What is your budget? That would go a long way in determining model and which brand.

Do you need a lot of processing power? GPU power?

I would suggest you go with an Intel Core 2 Duo laptop and if you don't need one of the low voltage processors, then T6600 cpu or higher. If it's only T6600, I would say go with Toshiba Satellite (the black ones, not silver) so A500-xxx.... if you need a more powerful laptop, then consider HP if those are the two brands you are comparing.

I only say HP in that case, because HP has a lot of DV6/DV7s that have powerful processors for a lower price than other laptops. But, I think Toshibas (NOT the silver line, that looks cheap) have better build quality. I like the black ones that are still with the Satellite line. I liked their construction except I wish the resolution was higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.