[SOLVED] Laptop(HP 15-bs675tx) FAN makes a very low vibrating/rattling noise and runs hotter, is it out of calibration and can it be fixed?

CardinalSin

Reputable
Oct 16, 2020
So a couple weeks back i opened up my laptop to replace my HDD with an SSD. Meanwhile, I thought I would blow out the dust inside the fans a bit so I blew air on top the fan perpendicularly, i didn't hold the fan in place so it could be possible that the fan spun too fast. Now the fan makes a very dim rattling/vibrating noise which cannot even be noticed unless it's super quiet or if you put your ear on the laptop.

The problem is, the CPU runs much hotter now, temperatures jump up to 50-60 celsius while browsing(via CoreTemp) and goes up to 80-90 celsius while gaming(I played Bioshock 2 Remastered for 30 mins before it had major drops in FPS, probably due to thermal throttling). Is the fan out of calibration? Because it spins alright, but it makes a very slight monotonous vibrating noise. Will i be able to fix the fan manually or do i have to order a replacement fan?

Thanks for helping out, here are some screenshots of CoreTemp -

Core Temp while MAX CPU load through "Stress CPU" option in CPU-Z for 15 mins - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yT5DVW-EVnYdk0Vi15B_AplJJ-XgzSoR/view?usp=sharing

Core Temp while browsing - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xg-5qjrfZfq45E2GD_e8k4-14P7P73Ir/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Solution
My bet is that you have a bearing out in the fan. You will have to find a direct replacement but the only real fix is replacing it. It was probably marginal before "cleaning" but directly messing with it pushed it over the edge. Not to unusual when cleaning out machines.
Much simpler to buy a replacement $5 fan than take it apart to try to fix the bearings or whatever is wrong. Did you try something simple like just touching it a bit to move it into a different position? Are you sure those temps are due to the fan? The fan making noise should not do anything at all for the way it cools.

CardinalSin

Reputable
Oct 16, 2020
Much simpler to buy a replacement $5 fan than take it apart to try to fix the bearings or whatever is wrong. Did you try something simple like just touching it a bit to move it into a different position? Are you sure those temps are due to the fan? The fan making noise should not do anything at all for the way it cools.
Yes, i'm positive the temps are due to the fan, it was working fine a couple months back and i could only notice temperatures differences after opening the laptop. there's a fair chance it's out of calibration by a bit as it makes a very slight vibrating noise which i think wasn't present before. I will try opening the laptop again and try tilting it gently.

jasonf2

Distinguished
My bet is that you have a bearing out in the fan. You will have to find a direct replacement but the only real fix is replacing it. It was probably marginal before "cleaning" but directly messing with it pushed it over the edge. Not to unusual when cleaning out machines.

Reactions: CardinalSin
Solution

CardinalSin

Reputable
Oct 16, 2020
The laptop is only 2 years old, i have opened it 3 times since but last time i thought i would give the fan a good blowing(I don't have a Compressed air can). The fan blades were visible from the top and they looked kinda dusty. Good replacement parts are still kind of hard to come by in my country and the courier services are lousy, so i'll keep that as a last resort. Might clean the blades with a cotton swab and some spirit.