Laptop Hunters Episode 4: $2,000 for Video Editing

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyderek

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
and the moral of the story is..... Mac's are still built better, and pc's have to be given away for free to peddle them on unsuspecting customers.... A+ microsoft

G

I think that most people miss the point: you DON'T compare a mac vs a pc based on it's specs. You choose a mac or a PC based on the OS you want to run. You buy a PC to run WINDOWS, and a MAC to run MAC OS.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
[citation][nom]krazyderek[/nom]and the moral of the story is..... Mac's are still built better, and pc's have to be given away for free to peddle them on unsuspecting customers.... A+ microsoft[/citation]

Since when are Macs built better? Give me an objective comparison between the two substantiated with facts. No subjective bullshit or unreasonable arguments based on pseudo-fact. Oh wait, you're just another idiot consumer. Funny how the masses just surge at the chance to overwhelm the intelligent few.

[citation][nom]sabuga[/nom]I think that most people miss the point: you DON'T compare a mac vs a pc based on it's specs. You choose a mac or a PC based on the OS you want to run. You buy a PC to run WINDOWS, and a MAC to run MAC OS.[/citation]

Actually, yes you do compare them based on specs. Why? Because the bottom line is usability for the price, and most programs like CS4 operate very similarly (interface-wise). So paying a 50% premium for the Mac OS is ridiculous no matter what price point you're at.

To be clear, I actually like Apple products. I'm in love with the iPhone, and I think Apple computers are neat, but I don't believe in the Mac Myth and I want to break others from it. A Mac is simply a highly proprietary PC, much like a Sony Vaio is a PC. The OS isn't that different in practical functionality as much as you might want to argue it. I like Apple computers but I don't see a reason to buy one over a variety of great PC options. My mantra is always price/performance ratio. That is king, always and forever. And in that area, PC always wins.

ssr

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
@resonance451
Oh wait, you're just another idiot consumer.
again you are going out of the track dear.
what masses are buying depends on the personal choice of the masses, their taste, their purchasing power, their carrying capacity.
we are here to just provide the facts not to force the masses to buy this or that.
My mantra is always price/performance ratio.
you have mentioned sony vaio again and again and if i am not wrong they are also considered second apple. this is mass opinion not the subjective BS.the price performance ratio of vaio is not that you generalize this for the masses.
and one more thing u said gap b/w desktop and laptop performance is decreasing i am not agree with you on this point. you just cant beat ATX or eATX form factor with crippled space.there are i7 machines available from the European vendors in laptop chassis but again we talking here for the masses and our limit is 2k.

ssr

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
and i dont understand whats wrong with mac people
here is CA few guys fitted their cars with jet engines when we asked them why are you doing so then their answer was-
b/c we can
so when some one asking to you why you brought the MAC why cant you just say
b/c we can

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]KyleSTL[/nom]+1[/citation]
[citation][nom]resonance451[/nom]That's a terrible article. Comparing a $1600 Vaio to a $2800 Macbook Pro? So much for objective comparison. And the "points" system is miserably poor. I was able to configure a $1400 Vaio with the same specs as a $2800 Macbook Pro. That's not what you'd call a premium?! And I mean the same processor, RAM, HDD, etc. Nearly everything. .6 inches of screen and the sticker were all that were missing. Oh and the Vaio had several things the Macbook doesn't. Hmm. Also, you can custom-configure the Vaio, so try comparing a $2800 Vaio to a $2800 Macbook Pro. I can do that for you but I'm sure you can do the math yourself.[/citation]

You should read the article instead of looking at the pictures and charts. He stated that we pulled the computers based on screen size...so he went with the 16.4" screen Vaio...that is closer to 17" than the 18.4. He also commented on how the Vaio got hit with poor quality as a result of its price. Go with the 18.4" Vaio and you come in at close to $2800, but you do not get DDR3. This is $100 dollars less than what I paid for my 17" MBP with the same specs. I was willing to go either way prior to my purchase, but all things being equal the Mac came out on top and so I purchased it and I love it.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I agree with resonance451.

Price/performance ratio should dictate a buyer's logic. After that, if you prefer OSX then pay more price for less performance and buy a Mac. If you are attracted to shiny things, buy a Mac. People who make most of their decisions based on logic rather than emotion tend to lean towards a MS product. Sure I make some purchases based on emotion but logic always plays a part. Computers are one thing that should not be purchased without logic. Computers are a tool.

I have many hours on OSX and I don't mind it. I surely don't see any value in it over XP, Vista, or Win 7. The fact that OSX is less likely to get viruses doesn't really affect me or anyone else who is competent enough to operate antivirus software.

If Macs were less money than a similar spec'd PC, had 6-10 times the software choices, and had an accepted gaming platform, I would be typing this on a Mac. If all of this were true, Apple would be a logical choice.

I know that most Mac people will die defending their choice. Maybe resonance451 is totally wasting his time trying to explain logic to them. Until someone can logically explain to me why I would be better off with a Mac... I will stick with my I7 rig.

"You just would be" is not a logical answer.

The reason I waste some of my time here is that I find the Mac vs PC debate entertaining.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]keither5150[/nom]Wait until Microsoft compares desktops.That should be good for a laugh.[/citation]

Let's let Consumer Reports do it...MS is one-sided.

Here is the just released Consumer Reports laptop report: The Best Laptops Are...

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]keither5150[/nom]People who make most of their decisions based on logic rather than emotion tend to lean towards a MS product.[/citation]

Pure bullshit...I am a logician with a MS in Applied Math and I own a 17" MBP. Emotions have nothing to do with it...if it did, then all of these frustrated Windows users would have jumped ship years ago. Why is everyone so concerned with what others buy? Last I checked free commerce allows us that freedom. To go around saying how stupid Mac users are, etc., is merely a reflection of the name callers lack of maturity. Buy what you want and enjoy it.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
@yoder

spending $3000 on any laptop is not logical.

After reading your earlier post, you should build yourself an I7 machine.

My new I7 at 2.66 (no need to overclock yet) compared to my previous C2D @4.0GHz edits and encodes in almost 1/2 the time.

As I have said before, I don't mind OSX if it didn't have to come with slower hardware for more money.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
[citation][nom]ssr[/nom]@resonance451Oh wait, you're just another idiot consumer.again you are going out of the track dear.what masses are buying depends on the personal choice of the masses, their taste, their purchasing power, their carrying capacity.we are here to just provide the facts not to force the masses to buy this or that.[/citation]

I'm not here to force the masses to buy anything. In fact I'm against consumerism. My interest is in forcing people to look at the facts and make their choices based upon that. It doesn't mean I require all to draw the same conclusions, just to draw only valid conclusions.

[citation][nom]ssr[/nom]My mantra is always price/performance ratio.you have mentioned sony vaio again and again and if i am not wrong they are also considered second apple. this is mass opinion not the subjective BS.[/citation]

...aaand the difference is..?

Also, the reason I reference Vaio so much is exactly for that fact: because they emulate Apple and provide what I feel is the closest Windows equivalent in aesthetics and build. I personally despise Sony, but I feel that I must look objectively at what products they have. Is this also difficult to comprehend?

[citation][nom]ssr[/nom]the price performance ratio of vaio is not that you generalize this for the masses. and one more thing u said gap b/w desktop and laptop performance is decreasing i am not agree with you on this point. you just cant beat ATX or eATX form factor with crippled space.there are i7 machines available from the European vendors in laptop chassis but again we talking here for the masses and our limit is 2k.[/citation]

What I'm referencing is the price/performance ratio on a laptop vs. a desktop, and it has indeed decreased. Aside from that, the expandability and pound-for-pound power on laptops has also increased. You can build your own laptop and do many things with it that used to be exclusive to desktops. Even two years ago it was difficult customize hardware and use laptops for what desktops can be used for. I'd call that a gap that's closing.

[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]You should read the article instead of looking at the pictures and charts. He stated that we pulled the computers based on screen size...so he went with the 16.4" screen Vaio...that is closer to 17" than the 18.4. He also commented on how the Vaio got hit with poor quality as a result of its price. Go with the 18.4" Vaio and you come in at close to $2800, but you do not get DDR3. This is $100 dollars less than what I paid for my 17" MBP with the same specs. I was willing to go either way prior to my purchase, but all things being equal the Mac came out on top and so I purchased it and I love it.[/citation]

As a result of its price? Wow, you really are fucking dense. The Vaio is configurable, and the only way to compare the two properly is through price/performance ratio. To do that, the products have to have a control in addition to the variables. Comparing a $1600 Vaio a $2800 Mac and wondering why the latter has better performance is ridiculous when for $2800 using the 16.4 inch screen you can get far better than that $2800 Mac. In fact, I'm going to go on Sony's website and custom configure an FW series laptop.

Here's what I came back with:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9800 (2.93GHz)
8GB DDR2-SDRAM (DDR2-800, 4GBx2)
500GB SATA Hard Disk Drive [5400 rpm]
Blu-ray Disc™ Read and Write Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3650 with 512MB vRAM
LCD 16.4" (XBRITE-FullHD™) 1920x1080

Price tag? $2549.99. Clocks in at 6.7 pounds.

The Mac?

2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
320GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT w/512mb

Price tag? $2799. Weighs in at 6.6 pounds.

So, as I see it, these are the most important specifications. All the other little specs might be important to the individual user, but these are the core of things and what matters most. In this area, I see that the Mac is superior in only these fashions, and wish qualifications:

17 inch vs. 16.4
A tenth of a pound lighter
1066MHz DDR3, though with caveat: 4gb, not 8gb.

And that just about does it. I'd say that's a fair and even comparison of both models. Here's what Sony has, however, that Apple doesn't:

2.93GHz dual core vs. 2.66
500gb HDD vs. 320gb HDD
Blu-ray BURNER, vs standard optical drive

Sources? Here you go, neatly packaged just for the consumer at heart:

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html
http://tinyurl.com/d78xzl (This is the Sony one. You'll have to configure it yourself and look at the price. It'll end up as $2549.99)

Did I mention that it's $250 cheaper at this configuration? If you don't believe me, go to Sony.com and configure an FW series laptop. I just went and looked at both websites and pulled official specs. I looked at the custom configuration I made using Sony's official prices vs. Apple's standard specs for the $2800 model. I'd say that's a fairly objective comparison. Oh, and all the upgrades you can have on a Mac, like the SDD and processor, etc? They're available for the Vaio. And the nice Wireless N and Bluetooth integrated support? Also standard on the FW series laptop. Say what you want, but you're wrong. The Vaio is more powerful for the price, and in actuality better for cheaper. You failed to make an objective comparison, so that's your loss.

If you're wondering why I left out the video card, it's because I won't argue what I haven't seen benchmarks for. If you prefer Apple's Nvidia card, show me specs to prove it, and not just for gaming, but for editing, and objective, quality specs, not some stupid garbage site that compares the Apple's performance at 800x600 while using Paint vs. the Vaio's performance at 1920x1080 on an intense 3D render.

[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]Pure bullshit...I am a logician with a MS in Applied Math and I own a 17" MBP. Emotions have nothing to do with it...if it did, then all of these frustrated Windows users would have jumped ship years ago. Why is everyone so concerned with what others buy? Last I checked free commerce allows us that freedom. To go around saying how stupid Mac users are, etc., is merely a reflection of the name callers lack of maturity. Buy what you want and enjoy it.[/citation]

Everybody seems to conveniently gloss over Apple's way of handling its own mistakes, like all the monitor failures and other widespread problems that they wash their forums clean of. That's right, they delete topics full of complaints and try to quietly fix things before anyone notices how big they fucked up. Unbelievable.

And you phrased a stupid question. Why should I be concerned with what others buy? In today's consumerist society and government, what we collectively choose to buy or not to buy decides the fate of the world. So yeah, I'd say I have a vested interest in things. Aside from that, I'm not against Apple, nor have I called Mac users stupid for having used an Apple computer. I'm against the Mac Myth where Apple purports to have a magical piece of hardware that somehow mystically operates better, and I'm against those that believe it. If you acknowledge that Apple charges a premium and spring for a Mac even because of aesthetics, I have no problem with that. If you like the casing, that much, you're free to buy it and I have no qualms with you. But if you follow the propaganda and swallow the Mac dong, I think you should be thrown into a meat grinder. Why do I pressure you all so hard on what you buy? Because Apple is a marketing machine. That's what they do. That's what this whole thing is about, how it's a "free market" yet the whole economy is built upon marketing, which is systematic manipulation, the science of figuring out how to twist and manipulate our most basic impulse to get us to buy something. Isn't that worth fighting? Does truth even matter anymore, or has that been bought and paid for as well?

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
I also thought to mention that many of the upgrade options found on Sony's machines are not available on Apple's machines. I had only looked at specs before and decided I wanted to see how much it would cost me to upgarde the Mac to use the same specs as the lower-priced Vaio. Only problem is, lots of stuff was missing. Most notable is the fact that your only options on HDD are the standard 320gb 5400rpm, the 7200rpm variant, and 128/256gb SSD options. Furthermore they offer only two processor options, though in this case that's okay given that I was looking for the 2.93GHz dual core. But then we run into another hurdle. To upgrade to 8gb RAM would cost $1000. I understand that this is the cost of the part and not just Apple's premium, but I'm paying probably a $1000+ premium to have a 266MHz RAM operating frequency bump? Jesus Christ! So in the end I couldn't even replicate the Vaio's options.

Have you looked at Sony's line? There are some sleek looking options there. I'd suggest looking at it.

Notably missing from Sony's lineup though, is the light-up keyboard and the huge multi-touch pad. Those are two things I definitely have to hand it to Apple for. I would happily have a fully-configured $4000 Macbook Pro with the 8gb RAM and 2.93GHz dual core. I just don't want to pay that much for it. If I were in the market for purchasing a laptop today, I'd probably be gunning for something in the 2k price range, so the Macbook pro 17" would be more expensive than I'm willing to pay. Even the 15" model with the configuration I could get from Sony for $1650 would cost $2850, and that's with a smaller monitor.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
I also just looked at the Mac Pro, and not only were its options very limited, it cost the same amount as the production monster I just built, except the Mac has only 1066MHz memory vs. my 1600MHz Corsair Dominator RAM with insane timings, has only a crappy 640gb HDD and a crappy 1TB HDD vs my 150GB 10,000rpm system HDD and 1.5TB 32mb cache storage HDD, doesn't include my $1500 Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 beast of a render card, has a shitty server mobo with only 4 DIMM slots, and on top of that, the freaking thing only has 5 USB ports total!!! Are they insane?! My mobo has 8 USB ports, and my case has 4, giving me 12 USB ports. Oh, and I can easily stick a slot in the back and add more. One more thing: I am limited in my drive bays on the Mac vs. my PC where I can choose whatever case to fit my needs and actually use the insane bevy of SATA ports on the new x58 mobos.

Reminds me why I got into building computers, and why I'm in the business right now. I can do better than these mass-producing rip-offs.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
@resonance451: With an educational discount I got a 17" 2.93 GHZ with 320 Gb 7200 rpm hd for $2900.

In all due respect I did not read all of your posts...too long. But, the prices I saw were in the ball park of where I was.

"McCracken’s Third Law of Computer Buying specifies that when you’re spending $1000 or more for a system, you shouldn’t obsess over price differences of $100 or less. So here’s my bottom line on the prices before taking the configurations into account."

I agree with that. We may be insane for even entertaining the idea of purchasing a $2500 laptop, but hey...it is our money. I have never purchased a laptop and decided to get me a hot-shit laptop that I plan on lasting me 5-7 years. In 5 years Moore's Law will change everything. So, I started my search.

One thing I wanted was a computer for audio recording. As an educator I have access to a free copy of Logic Studio ($499) and CS4 Web Premium ($1K.) I will not pirate software. I will be building my tube DAC, a USB ADC vinyl ripper (hagtech.com), a tube preamp, and tube amp. The only thing I will not be building is an interface. In this area I have reduced it to 2 manufacturers...Apogee and RME. Apogee has the lower entry point and that is probably the way I will go.

So, with these enticements it is a no-brainer and I will go with the Mac. But, let's assume I have no interests in audio. In that case I will still go with the Mac.

I have always been on Windows machines, and would like to mix it up. I like the Mac OS, and I like the software that comes bundled on a Mac. For the musically inclined Garage Band is almost impossible to beat...you really don't get much for free in the audio department with a PC. Yea, I have used Audacity and GB just blows it out of the water. Plus, with the new one I may just teach myself piano.

I like the look and feel of the Mac OS, I like the Unix based OS, I like the fact that I can upgrade 5 Mac's for $129...for all...when the next upgrade comes out this Fall or so, and I like the change. It is actually kind of exciting to be using something new and different. The important thing is that we both have found what we like, and have gone with it. Only a fool would insist on getting something that is "OK" just to save a couple hundred on a $3k purchase.

The bottom line is that you came in with price comparisons that are more realistic than the $1500 differences people throw out there. At this level of purchasing power it just get's down to personal tastes. Kind of like comparing a Benz and BMW, or a Ford and Chevy...at this level of insanity I like to go with the German makes! More importantly, we researched our purchases and we are happy with what we got.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

Neglegible
Neglegible
(you obviously don't understand memory)

Substantial
Substantial
Deal-breaker (if that's what you want/need, and mind you that Mac's precious Final Cut Pro cannot output BD content, only HD video files)

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
What? I am using a 2.93 GHz right now on my 17" MBP.

I would not consider 180Gb of hd space a deal breaker. You can upgrade to SSDs with the MBP. Besides, I use a 1 Tb Glyph external HD.

How about the graphics? "The MacBook Pro sports dual GPUs–both integrated (NVIDIA’s GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of shared DDR3 SDRAM) and discrete (NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory). You can switch between ‘em, opting for either the slower battery drain of integrated graphics or the higher performance of discrete ones." For portable use I can save battery life by using the integrated gpu, but I stick with the discrete gpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.