Laptop Hunters: Lauren 2 and Her Mom Buy a Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Dude you're getting a Dell.

I always thought MS should do a spoof on Mac's commercials.

PC going off on Mac, calling him an ass. I can see Peter Griffin as PC.

"You know what? **** you Mac, I'm getting sick of you. I'm going to go play Left 4 Dead. Oh what's that? You can't play it? Sucks to be you"

G

Apple should release another ad that mocks PC users for using PCs. Maybe then I'll switch.

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
Yea, there's no room for aesthetics of course. 95% of folks eat at applebee or the like and are very happy with the "food".

I own several windows laptops (lenovo t60p, dell d600, etc), windows desktop and one macbook.

What I like about the macbook:
- small and light and easy to move around when being used on ones, well.., lap top - windows laptop are heavier and more mechanically klutzy or just look snazzy for the stupid
- better battery life. My lenovo with an extended battery lasts longer but it weighs about 4lbs more.
- sleek and smooth case, better feel - most windows laptops have edges, and bottoms that are not smooth with connectors, can snag clothing, etc.
- user interface more intuitive hardware works - with iLife I crank out dvds from from my camcorder. with windows and various software and using a windows desktop I was never been able to put out a single dvd. always hit some snag or strange error or hang or got a coaster.
- I am over needing to build my own PCs - computers should now be tools and easy to use. I don't build my car either (anymore :) ).

I also pay more to eat at places that don't serve canned or frozen food.

So if you are cheap enjoy your windows (I still use windows, but being cheap is not my only quality). For me at least both companies are out there to provide competition and push tech forward. And its amusing how vehment the windows fan folks are. Whats to be afraid of? Or are you folks worried and trying justifying your pre-conceptions?

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
i just thought of something, if windows is soo bad than why are soo many mac users running parallels desktop with windows??? maybe a mac is just not enough.

Computer_Lots

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Anybody else noticed that "Lauren" is hotness.
Also, if somebody gave me a $1700 price limit, I'd spend $1699.99 for sure. Give me the 4GB RAM, 512GB SSD, and nice GPU please.
Idea for another MS Add...
"Gamer goes to Best Buy (cause he's a noob and doesn't know Newegg) to buy a gaming laptop." Good luck finding a Mac to play Crysis.

stryk55

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]rsud[/nom]Yea, there's no room for aesthetics of course. 95% of folks eat at applebee or the like and are very happy with the "food".

...windows laptop are heavier and more mechanically klutzy or just look snazzy for the stupid-...

...So if you are cheap enjoy your windows... ([/citation]

This is the crap that really gets to Windows users and causes such a backlash against Apple. Don't talk and act like having a Mac makes you part of an elite group of people that is better than everyone else. And your argument about Windows being cheap somehow equates less quality? Beluga caviar may cost a lot of money, but that doesn't make me want to eat salty fish eggs...

You couldn't make DVD's in your Windows machines? Sounds like a classic case of OE...operator error.

Flying Sq

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
[citation][nom]rsud[/nom]Yea, there's no room for aesthetics of course. 95% of folks eat at applebee or the like and are very happy with the "food".I own several windows laptops (lenovo t60p, dell d600, etc), windows desktop and one macbook.What I like about the macbook:- small and light and easy to move around when being used on ones, well.., lap top - windows laptop are heavier and more mechanically klutzy or just look snazzy for the stupid- better battery life. My lenovo with an extended battery lasts longer but it weighs about 4lbs more.- sleek and smooth case, better feel - most windows laptops have edges, and bottoms that are not smooth with connectors, can snag clothing, etc.- user interface more intuitive hardware works - with iLife I crank out dvds from from my camcorder. with windows and various software and using a windows desktop I was never been able to put out a single dvd. always hit some snag or strange error or hang or got a coaster.- I am over needing to build my own PCs - computers should now be tools and easy to use. I don't build my car either (anymore :) ).I also pay more to eat at places that don't serve canned or frozen food.So if you are cheap enjoy your windows (I still use windows, but being cheap is not my only quality). For me at least both companies are out there to provide competition and push tech forward. And its amusing how vehment the windows fan folks are. Whats to be afraid of? Or are you folks worried and trying justifying your pre-conceptions?[/citation]

So being cheap refers to getting better hardware for usually half the price of the Mac equivalent which has a better battery and a shiny case? What is so special about a Mac, better bloatware? I've used a Mac, they're not bad, but nothing special, but if all you care about is the OS, just wipe Windows and buy OS X. I'd rather eat in a restaurant where the food is better than pay for atmosphere.

Trunnion8

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
I think what bothers most Windows users is the haughty attitude of the Mac commercials. They imply that Windows users are uptight geeks who can't really seem to do anything right while Mac users are cool and sauve and can do no wrong. They're rather misleading on the no viruses and crashes front. We all know that ANY operating system can suffer a crash or catch a virus, but whether or not anyone makes a virus for a platform depends on market share. Once Macs get even 20% of the market, they'll get slammed with viruses and be even more helpless than MS, who at least has had to deal with the issue for a long time and has the resources in place to play that game.

This sense of superiority that many Mac users have simply for buying a different OS drives me up a wall. I acknowledge that OS X is a great Operating System, but Apple by design has a relatively tightly controlled system there. The OS is limited in its ability. Windows is a more broadly marketable product and it should be since it still owns the vast majority of the market. If I want to do something like play games, run a server, and the like, I can't do it on a Mac.

I also wouldn't have such a problem with Mac if I could build my own machine and throw Mac OS on it. I think Apple's attempt to control the entire experience here is misguided as it cuts them out of potential users. But then, it doesn't seem that they want that. I think they want to remain a niche product so that they can continue to charge a premium price for all of their stuff.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]rsud[/nom]Yea, there's no room for aesthetics of course. 95% of folks eat at applebee or the like and are very happy with the "food".[/citation]

“People can get a cheeseburger anywhere. They come to Chotchkie's for the atmosphere and attitude.”

Your final assertion is backward, at least from where I sit. I can get my work/play/etc done on a PC or a Mac, I have used both more than enough. How can I justify spending twice as much (or as is more likely the case, getting a PC that is twice as fast/capacious compared to a similarly priced Mac) just so that my computer will have no pointy edges, and an interface that treats me like a 3 year old. No thanks, I will take the PC.

Apple sells enough units to make its investors happy. So does Microsoft/Dell. Until something there changes, there is no real argument here, there is simply one market segment (the 90% of people who choose PCs) and another (the 10% who choose Macs) living in free market harmony.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
I love these laptop hunter series. They just focus on fact.

All the Apple ads do is bash PC's and their users by spewing stereotypes that even Apple computers/users themselves have, but they usually omit that part in favor of poking fun at the socially inept guy.

I think that's probably one of the few reasons I dislike Apple so much. They spend so much time and effort bashing PC's in their ads that they just come off as stuck up douches.

G

Yeah, with macs you will pay the premiums on hardware, and you will pay approximately 30% more for said hardware. This is and will remain true. And macs SHOULD just work, when you don't have to worry about coding thousands upon thousands of drivers, backwards compatibility, ect.
Here are the cons for macs: proprietary parts, limited software compatibility, a FALSE sense of security, incompatibility with the other 90% of the world, and PRICE. Like I said, if you want to 2K for a laptop where you can get equivalent specs for less than $1,200; than that is your choice. Seems kinda foolish when you look at it like that. If you were to spend that same 2,000 dollars on a pc notebook you would find that you will get a smokin' hot system that can outperform that mac easily..
With as much as I hate Dells, I'd much rather see someone on a dell versus a mac. At least then I, as a tech, can offer some support. I suppose if you are concerned about having a slick LOOKING computer than a mac isn't a bad route, but to me, for my tools, it's function over form ANY DAY.
Now before you say some denial piece like, "yeah but my mac boots up soo quick! Well, it's probably because you have a solid state drive that you payed an extra 30% over retail residing in your hdd bay."

For me, the single biggest reason that I don't want a mac: I'm quite fond of my right-mouse click function! Before you silly mac users say, "but you can control-click".. that's an unnecessary keystroke for something that I've been utilizing for almost 15 years.

When is Apple gonna give up hardware and try to be a serious contender for OS on standard PC parts? Probably never, because once they have to code all those drivers they will start getting run-time issues and lock-ups, and there goes their edge, their niche, and their exorbitant profit on hardware.

G

Haha, oh wow, that has better specs than the $1599 plastic macbook(lol build quality) and comparable to the $1999 macbook pro.
Mac users sure got marked up, that must be part of the "Apple experience".

That's the first laptop shown I'm actually interested in buying... if it was =

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
[citation][nom]rsud[/nom]Yea, there's no room for aesthetics of course. 95% of folks eat at applebee or the like and are very happy with the "food".I own several windows laptops (lenovo t60p, dell d600, etc), windows desktop and one macbook.What I like about the macbook:- small and light and easy to move around when being used on ones, well.., lap top - windows laptop are heavier and more mechanically klutzy or just look snazzy for the stupid- better battery life. My lenovo with an extended battery lasts longer but it weighs about 4lbs more.- sleek and smooth case, better feel - most windows laptops have edges, and bottoms that are not smooth with connectors, can snag clothing, etc.- user interface more intuitive hardware works - with iLife I crank out dvds from from my camcorder. with windows and various software and using a windows desktop I was never been able to put out a single dvd. always hit some snag or strange error or hang or got a coaster.- I am over needing to build my own PCs - computers should now be tools and easy to use. I don't build my car either (anymore :) ).I also pay more to eat at places that don't serve canned or frozen food.So if you are cheap enjoy your windows (I still use windows, but being cheap is not my only quality). For me at least both companies are out there to provide competition and push tech forward. And its amusing how vehment the windows fan folks are. Whats to be afraid of? Or are you folks worried and trying justifying your pre-conceptions?[/citation]

I don't like the Mac aesthetic. Strange, but I LIKE black and am incredibly tired of brushed aluminum. Black is just classy - always thought so and will likely continue to do so.

As to weight and size - there are plenty of small and light laptops. My Dell X1 (4 years old) is exceptionally light, nearly as small as an MBA, has very good battery life (did have to get a new battery . . . but 4 years? of course!) and, for a 4 year old computer, has plenty of life - especially with Win7 on it.

I strongly dislike Macs being perceived as having the corner on style. There's just something about a Lenovo - angular, edgy, brute, and classic black. I think that is classy. Some of the new Dells are coming out with that same styling - the Latitude D and E series. . .

I know others LOVE the Sony styling or the HP styling. I'm not so much into the glossy, but hey - they are pretty.

So Mac can get off their high horse about styling. Aluminum is oh so 90s. Most of us have grown out of it. :D

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005

Typical mac-boy response. Not being able to put together a DVD in Windows? But yet claims that you used to build your own PC? Priceless.

G

How can I justify spending twice as much (or as is more likely the case, getting a PC that is twice as fast/capacious compared to a similarly priced Mac) just so that my computer will have no pointy edges, and an interface that treats me like a 3 year old.

Wow, every time I want to change a setting in Vista it asks me five times if I'm sure I want to do this. Like I'm some idiot 3 year old. An OS should stay out of your way.

nao1120

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Don't forget that all the new macbooks/ and apple products use the same components as pcs do. Say anything with the nvidia and intel chipsets. Only differences is asthetics and looks and appeal and a different OS shell.

Same for all models.

Still a core 2 duo, still a nvidia card, still a seagate drive...etc etc etc etc and not to mention kingston and crucial memory....wait those are PC parts too.

joescalon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I would never use a mac for one, cause I just don't like the limitations of the OS, least from my experience. Yes the macs cases and hardware seem pretty, but at that price there are many PC companies that produce computers with the same likeness. Example dell has this new adamo. But for me I prefer something with good hardware, like cpu, gpu and fast ram with a good harddrive, which results in a sub 1k PC. Oh and mac commercials seem to say that you will pay more for software and antivirus on a PC. So far I have never had to buy any software there are tons of freeware that can do everything that you want and I love the challenge of finding out how. Never been a one to pay for someone else to do it for me..

Status
Not open for further replies.