[Laptop] I7 8750H running at 100% while gaming, low frame rates.

Oct 20, 2018
Hi! I have no idea what to do at this point.

I have a new MSI Gaming laptop.

MSI GS63 Stealth (Intel 8th Gen)

I7 8750H
GTX 1060 6 GB
16 GB DDR4 Ram
256GB SSD
1 TB HDD

My cpu has been running at 100% with fps being between 1-20 in my games.

I've been trying to play games but they've been running at low fps, even at low graphics settings. I did some searching around, and found an issue about power management. I changed my power management settings and have the same issue.

Here are pictures of task manager and a processor monitor while playing a random non graphics intense game (Pulsar) and another picture of what those readings look like right after closing the game (maybe a minute later)

https://imgur.com/a/iMKcH6s

Open Power options and on the left click on Create power plan link.
Create a High Performance power plan.

It could be a drivers issue, so you could use DDU in safe mode to uninstall the drivers and when the system reboots install the latest latest WHQL driver from Nvidia site.
Do a custom install without the GeForce Experience.

Could you post your CPU and GPU temps while gaming?

Oct 20, 2018

According to CPUID they're running at about 90c,and maxed out at 100c while playing less demanding games (Golf with Friends, Minecraft, Ect)

While watching the monitors I notice that the task manager cpu usage is shooting up to 100% and games are slowing going to 1-10 fps when the cpu temp gets up that high.

My idle temp after leaving it with nothing running for a few minutes seems to be around 50-65c on average.

And I am using high performance, with processor power management set to 100% on max and minimum

Those are very high temperatures.
Have you try increasing fan speed with a custom fan curve to lower the temps.

The previous MSI GE63 laptop was thicker and had a beefier cooler and still was getting hot.
The GS63 model looks very thin, so it will be a challenge to cool both, CPU and GPU.

Oct 20, 2018

Hi yes I have dragon center running the fans at high setting.

I have another MSI laptop with an I5 6000 series and GTX 960m. It doesn't seem to have any of these cooling problems. Should I return this laptop possibly?

TRENDING THREADS