• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Laptop Idling Temps?

Jul 11, 2020
Hi all.

I'm new to these forums but not new to PC building and tweaking - I've been building my own gaming desktop PCs for around 10 years and have so far specced and built 5 for my own use.

I've just purchased a pretty high powered laptop (never owned a laptop before!) from a well known company and have literally just received it a few hours ago. Specs are:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12-core processor,
RTX2060 GPU,
32gb Corsair RAM @ 2666,
970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 drive.

My concern is this: It's idling away on my desk whilst I'm typing this on my desktop and the CPU is running (average) at between 60ºc - 70ºc...

Not having too much experience with laptops at all, is this right? I'm aware it's a pretty powerful processor for a laptop but surely it shouldn't be running that high with CPU load at 1 - 2%... ?

It keeps spiking and going up above 80ºc with no input from myself too. I've stress tested it with AIDA64 and the max temp was 89ºc according to HWMonitor, (lowest temperature it's recorded is 56ºc).

I did the same stress test on this desktop (i9 9900K) and the higest temperature it got up to - 68ºC - is pretty much the idle temperature of the laptop. I know it's not really fair to compare a desktop to a laptop for cooling but it's quite alarming.

I'm not really fussed about the full stress temps as they seem to be kept under control, but should it really be idling in the mid 60s?

I'm concerned with the amount of calculations and multi-tasking it's going to have to do (bought it to run CAD/CAM software), it's not going to have a very long life at those temps...

Thanks in advance folks!

/Sn00ten

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS