Laptop in restart loop after Windows 8.1 update

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fivefourone

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
I have a Samsung series 5 ultrabook (np540u3c), new in march lat year with Windows 8.
I had just downloaded the Windows 8.1 update and it needed to restart to install it. After a while it had finished installing and restarted again but this time as soon as it switches to the Windows logo an error message appears for a few seconds saying there has been an error and it needs to restart after gathering information about why this error happens. It then turns off and on again, and as soon as Windows tries to boot up the same error message. It then restarts, and so on, until I force then it off by holding down the power button.
I have tried to get into the Safe Mode start up menu by holding down f8 as it restarts but it doesn't work.

My laptop doesn't have an optical drive to boot from a cd, nor do I have a flash drive with a recovery version of Windows on.

Any help gratefully received. It's just out of warranty too.

Solution

aloeonline

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
same here. whatever i tried nothing works. no usb stick boots, no win 8.1 or win 10 dvd boots. tried to remove battery of motherboard to reset bios. nothing. laptop keeps restarting with samsung logo showing only for 2-3 seconds. is there any solution?

geoffins

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

I have the same thing. Have been pulling my hair out for days. originally could change boot order, Now only options in boot menu are "windows boot manager", its getting worse. Cant get it to boot from anything. HDDs are picked up in the bios but not offered as options to boot from. Its like "secure boot" is "stuck" on or something. Ridicilously frustrating.