Question Laptop is fast, then slows down, then it's fast again

Jul 13, 2019
Hi, I have Dell Latitude E7440 and recently got an issue with gaming performance. I play Starcraft 2 and Dragon Age 1 and in both games, it works totally fine and suddenly it slows down, it takes about 2-5 minutes to go back to normal. In Dragon Age I can live with that, but in SC2 it's a disaster.
I tried to look up for process, close everything else, disconnect from internet, turn off windows update and malware prot.
I really don't get it why is it slow only for a moment. Is it because of overheating?
Thanks

edit. I think it starts with installing Dragon Age 1, but now I reinstalled windows and it's still causing issues in SC2.

Jul 13, 2019
Is this what you have? https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude-E7440-LED-Ultrabook/dp/B00GRG9WKU
Exact same parts and all?
You can use HWINFO to check temps.
What's your cpu/memory/graphics usage from task manager?

Yes, the laptop is the one from amazon. Except I have 16GB RAM and 2 HDD in 750GB total.
Thanks guys for help, I am trying HWINFO now. The usage from task manager is as expected - CPU, memory, GPU all are high on Starcraft. Opera (browser) is high on memory, but the problem is the same even if I would shut opera down. Except that I cannot see anything else would be high.

edit. So I tried the HWINFO and play Starcraft and the game was so slow all the time :D The temp wasn't bad, I couldn't see anything out of normal.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well at this point it comes down to the fact that you're trying to game on a minipad/thin notebook.
It just doesn't have the necessary hardware to run those games smoothly.
The laptop is equipped with a hyperthreaded dual core, with a base clock of 1.90ghz and a single core boost of 2.90ghz.
Too slow, and it's not even a true quad core, which would be the bare minimum to run those games.
To top it off, there's no discreet gpu, only the cpu's integrated gpu, which is only really good for flash games.

Gaming is not the purpose of that laptop. You need something with a lot more 'OOMPH'!

Jul 13, 2019
Well at this point it comes down to the fact that you're trying to game on a minipad/thin notebook.
It just doesn't have the necessary hardware to run those games smoothly.
The laptop is equipped with a hyperthreaded dual core, with a base clock of 1.90ghz and a single core boost of 2.90ghz.
Too slow, and it's not even a true quad core, which would be the bare minimum to run those games.
To top it off, there's no discreet gpu, only the cpu's integrated gpu, which is only really good for flash games.

Gaming is not the purpose of that laptop. You need something with a lot more 'OOMPH'!

Thanks for reply. I am aware of that, this laptop is for movies and work only, whatever game I run is a blessing :D But my point is that these games are able to run smoothly for some time and then they would start lag. So why is that? Is the laptot wasn't good enough, these games should lag all the time, right? I imagine it's either "games runs smoothly" or "game is lagging". But what bothers me is the fact, that the game run smoothly for some time and then is lagging for some time. Why?

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Sounds to me the CPU/iGPU is throttling due to temps. The 2-5mins of slowdown is probably a cooling down period due to lower clocks as the CPU throttles.
It could be pagefile usage as memory is dumped to the slow HDD but you have 16gb ram so I don't think it's that.

Jul 13, 2019
Sounds to me the CPU/iGPU is throttling due to temps. The 2-5mins of slowdown is probably a cooling down period due to lower clocks as the CPU throttles.
It could be pagefile usage as memory is dumped to the slow HDD but you have 16gb ram so I don't think it's that.

I tried look at the GPU and CPU temp while playing and it has always about the same.