Question Laptop is getting bad performance after reset.

Dec 2, 2019
SOLVED: But I have a new question below relating to me problem.

Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion Power 15 laptop that is having a performance issue with pretty much every game I have.

The backstory is that I think I had a corrupted file that made every download take weeks in my Windows install so after months of troubleshooting I just gave up and reset my laptop. Now, I have installed all of my drivers including CPU and GPU ones and I am getting terrible FPS compared to what I would get before. I made sure to select my dedicated Nvidia GPU for the games and I am using the High Performance power plan.

I tested my laptop on Far Cry 5 with the lowest settings at 1080p, I used to get 40-50 FPS on medium settings, now I get 18-25 FPS on the lowest settings.
  • My CPU was at 82 degrees C on average 90 at max, at 52% average usage.
  • My dedicated GPU was at 60 C at 1% usage but Far Cry uses GPU Copy and I don't think task manager accounts for that but don't quote me on that I'm not sure.
  • My internal GPU was at 6% usage but I think it was just running my browser and windows processes.

Anyone have ideas on what the issue is?

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7 7700HQ
GPU0: Intel HD 630 Graphics
GPU1: Nvidia GTX 1050 TI Max-Q
Windows 10

Thanks,
Mason

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
Update: I just went to HP's website and after a while, I found out the model of my laptop, the refurbished sticker did not match the actual model... so I downloaded every single driver appropriate for my system and it now runs fine, but GeForce Experience is now telling me that I have a critical update that needs to be updated for my graphics. Should I update it?