[SOLVED] Laptop is no longer capable of Bluetooth after switching hard drives.

Oct 11, 2022
Have had a thinkpad for about a year now that I bought second hand, I also bought with it a Bluetooth dongle as it was never advertised or appeared to have Bluetooth. After a few days of using the dongle however, I noticed that the dongle didn't need to be in the computer to use Bluetooth so I just assumed I never noticed it being built into the computer from day one and forgot about it, losing the dongle later on. But recently I replaced my hard drive without transferring anything more than the personal files I created and just installed windows fresh, which didn't include bluetooth. So far I've tried downloading a driver I found on the intel website by googling "intel x64 Bluetooth drivers" and trying to reset my Bluetooth settings but that's had no effect, any ideas?
Motherboard is:
LENOVO 20ASS02J00 (CPU Socket - U3E1)
(according to a spec sheet app)
Windows 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Update: I figured it out, despite my windows being updated there were optional updates in the Windows Update settings to the drivers which I was missing, one of which was something like intel bluetooth controller which, when I installed it, brought back my bluetooth.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please state the model for your Lenovo laptop? An SKU to the laptop will help us two fold. Make and model of said USB driven BlueTooth dongle?

just installed windows fresh
Did you manually install all relevant drivers for your laptop after sourcing said drivers from Lenovo's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Oct 11, 2022
Laptop is a L440 and System SKU is LENOVO_MT_20AS_BU_Think_FM_ThinkPad L440. The Bluetooth dongle I lost probably a year ago and all I remember is it was from somewhere like amazon or aliexpress, just generic. As for drivers the only one I installed manually was this one after watching a youtube tutorial: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-bluetooth-for-windows-10-and-windows-11.html
It didnt have any effect. I had just used the windows media creation tool to make a bootable usb and didnt transfer anything like drivers over.
Just tried using the Bluetooth driver that this site recommended for my laptop, it didn't help. https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/do...uetooth-driver-for-windows-10-64-bit-thinkpad
I also tried the automatic driver detector here https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/...00/r909wevh/downloads/automatic-driver-update
which recommended maybe 10 drivers which I installed, it told me to reboot and when I did my computer wouldn't boot and had to run some automatic repair, lol. Back on the website now and it says that I still need a battery update or something so it seems like the Bluetooth ones went fine. Are there any other drivers or ones that I need to manually install? Thanks.

Oct 11, 2022
Update: I figured it out, despite my windows being updated there were optional updates in the Windows Update settings to the drivers which I was missing, one of which was something like intel bluetooth controller which, when I installed it, brought back my bluetooth.

Solution