Question Laptop is running a lot slower than when first booted up?

professorblueprint

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2012
so i bought my laptop a couple of months ago to play rust on, all was working well and good when i first booted up and downloaded rust. Good fps in high settings and i was getting next to no frame rate drops and all games were running smoothly. However 2 months later the laptop is running games like a potato with bad fps and frequent drops. I am running the laptop in ultimate power settings and have dropped the settings down yet still getting really bad frames. I did a factory reset and the games were running smoothly again just to go back to how they were. I am running the games on an SSD that is 50% full. any help appreciated.

SPECS

CPU: I5-7300HQ
GPU: GTX 1050ti 2GB
RAM: 8GB DDR4
SSD: 117GB

What might have changed in the last few months?

a. Are you running plugged in? The default on battery will be lower cpu performance and integrated graphics.

b. If your cooling system has accumulated dust, your processor could be heat throttling.
Clear out the cooling airways.

c. Possibly windows has pushed out a less than optimal graphics driver.
Try loading a current laptop gtx1050m driver directly from nvidia.

d. Perhaps you are infected with malware or a virus.

professorblueprint

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2012
What might have changed in the last few months?

a. Are you running plugged in? The default on battery will be lower cpu performance and integrated graphics.

b. If your cooling system has accumulated dust, your processor could be heat throttling.
Clear out the cooling airways.

c. Possibly windows has pushed out a less than optimal graphics driver.
Try loading a current laptop gtx1050m driver directly from nvidia.

d. Perhaps you are infected with malware or a virus.

thanks for the reply! the laptop is pretty much always plugged in and running on ultimate power plan, i have done malware and virus scans and nothing has come up. CPU is running at a good temperature yet runs at 100% when rust is open, all drivers i have downloaded using the geforce experience app

Latest posts