[SOLVED] Laptop is slow plus games & apps crashing ?

Sep 18, 2021
Hello! I have an MSI GS66 here are the specs:
-Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q
-Intel Core i7 10750H
-Windows 10
-16gb RAM
-1tb NVME SSD

I've been noticing lately that games (even non-graphically intense ones like roblox) are rendering slowly, and I'm getting bad frames. The computer also seems to be less responsive than it once was. I've been noticing this even more when in VR. When I'm in any PC VR game/app after about 1-5 minutes in the screen stops rendering and the game freezes, then I have to restart the PC to get it to render again, then I get the same issue. SteamVR is set to render at 72hz (and Roblox VR at 60), and yet I'm still having issues. Even if I'm in oculus home with no apps open, it freezes and stops rendering after a minute or two.

I've narrowed down the issue to my GPU, both task manager performance says its overworking, and SteamVr performance test says the problem is with my GPU. I know my laptop should be able to handle VR as I played a lot of it back in December.

I've tried updating GeForce drivers & restarting countless times, but my GPU performance is still terrible. If someone could help me with what to do next that would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Solution
Hey there,

You might try changing the power profiles on your laptop. It's very possible this is the issue.

Rather than select an existing power plan, or changing an existing one, use powershell to overwrite your current ones, and stick it on 'High Performance' initially, and if that doesn't work then try Ultimate profile.

Here are the details to copy/paste to powershell, then simply press enter. Then select one of the higher plans and try again.

Ultimate Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

High Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

Balanced: powercfg -duplicatescheme 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e

Power saver: powercfg -duplicatescheme...
Hey there,

You might try changing the power profiles on your laptop. It's very possible this is the issue.

Rather than select an existing power plan, or changing an existing one, use powershell to overwrite your current ones, and stick it on 'High Performance' initially, and if that doesn't work then try Ultimate profile.

Here are the details to copy/paste to powershell, then simply press enter. Then select one of the higher plans and try again.

Ultimate Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

High Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

Power saver: powercfg -duplicatescheme a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a

High Performance is for normal tasks. With Ultimate, literally every component in your system will be operating at max performance this includes SSD/HDD, CPU/GPU etc. It's really only meant for gaming desktops. Not laptops.

Solution
Sep 18, 2021
Hey there,

Power saver: powercfg -duplicatescheme a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a

High Performance is for normal tasks. With Ultimate, literally every component in your system will be operating at max performance this includes SSD/HDD, CPU/GPU etc. It's really only meant for gaming desktops. Not laptops.
Hi!
I tried both ultimate and high performance! Both suffered the same issue of the computer suddenly not rendering the game. According to task manager, the GPU is what's overloaded. Ultimate seemed like it was going to be better as it loaded 2 more frames after it stopped rendering, but then nothing happened. Even after quitting VR, the apps and games, the computer still seems slow and unresponsive (on the screen) until I restart.