BirdOfParadise

Prominent
Feb 22, 2021
Hi,

I have a laptop that has been functioning fine for aa long as i got it. However recently It has started to shutdown constantley when doing heavy tasks. I downloaded some software and noticed that CPU is hitting temperatures on avergae 90 - 100 celcius before shuting down. I gave it in to have the fan assembley cleaned and thermal paste changed however this issue is still occuring. Fan is definatly spinning really fast and I can feel hot air being blown out. I have also visually confirmed this. I am unsure whether this is a harware or software issue. Could it be that my heatsink is not functioning?

My laptop is DELL latitude E7270

Solution
Hi,

I have a laptop that has been functioning fine for aa long as i got it. However recently It has started to shutdown constantley when doing heavy tasks. I downloaded some software and noticed that CPU is hitting temperatures on avergae 90 - 100 celcius before shuting down. I gave it in to have the fan assembley cleaned and thermal paste changed however this issue is still occuring. Fan is definatly spinning really fast and I can feel hot air being blown out. I have also visually confirmed this. I am unsure whether this is a harware or software issue. Could it be that my heatsink is not functioning?

Hey there,

It's possible the heatsink has failed somehow, but unlikely. They are copper...
Hi,

Hey there,

It's possible the heatsink has failed somehow, but unlikely. They are copper pipes, so it's not as if they will bend or break in normal use. Perhaps it's the fans. If they are not spinning up to full speed, they may exhaust some heat, but not enough. The cleaning should have helped.

Do you know what thermal paste the repair shop used? Not all are made equal! It could be the paste they used, just isn't very good. Or it could be that they did a bad job of applying it or didn't put the cooler back properly. It's hard to know.

That particular laptop looks very easy to take apart and apply the paste yourself. Then you know it's done right. Any temps issues after that, and you can rule out the thermal paste as a reason.

Dell Latitude E7270 (P26S001) Heatsink Fan How-To Video Tutorial - YouTube

Solution

BirdOfParadise

Prominent
Feb 22, 2021
Hey there,

It's possible the heatsink has failed somehow, but unlikely. They are copper pipes, so it's not as if they will bend or break in normal use. Perhaps it's the fans. If they are not spinning up to full speed, they may exhaust some heat, but not enough. The cleaning should have helped.

Do you know what thermal paste the repair shop used? Not all are made equal! It could be the paste they used, just isn't very good. Or it could be that they did a bad job of applying it or didn't put the cooler back properly. It's hard to know.

That particular laptop looks very easy to take apart and apply the paste yourself. Then you know it's done right. Any temps issues after that, and you can rule out the thermal paste as a reason.

Dell Latitude E7270 (P26S001) Heatsink Fan How-To Video Tutorial - YouTube
No I don't know what thermal paste they used. Sorry. But laptop is performing much better than it was in normal conditions such as browsing or media streaming. However when I start to do heavy tasks then it starts to heat up and then eventually shutdown. Fans are definitely spinning fast and blowing out plenty of air so I don't think that they are the issue unless they aren't blowing out enough which would be unlikely. I opened laptop up and I can feel the heatsink all the way up until the fan very hot!! The motherboard around it also seems to getting warm. Could it be some kind software issue or some kind of bios problem. I think it mostly due to hardware reasons but i want to keep options wide.