Question Laptop keeps dropping Internet connection refuses to reconnect wi-fi light goes off.

thbear71

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
Hi Everybody

I'm using Windows 7 btw.

All is well and then for no apparent reason my Internet just stops working. There's a wi-fi light on the keyboard that goes off and it just refuses to reconnect.

When I look it can't find any wi-fi networks (not even neighbours) and it says the network adapter is not working.

I usually try shut down/restart/put it in sleep mode or sometimes restore to an earlier point. And eventually it usually starts to work again for no apparent reason i.e. it connects and the light goes back on. However this is just a temporary fix as the connection soon drops again (it can take a day or two or just a few hours).

I know the wi-fi network itself is fine. There are two other laptops in the house and these both work fine.

I'd be grateful if anybody could offer any advice as to a long term fix.

tia

Bear

thbear71

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
Hi Everybody

I'm using Windows 7 and the machine is a Packard Bell Easy Note TM80.

All is well and then for no apparent reason my Internet just stops working. There's a wi-fi light on the keyboard that goes off and it just refuses to reconnect.

When I look it can't find any wi-fi networks (not even neighbours) and it says that the network adapter is not working.

I usually try shut down/restart/put it in sleep mode or sometimes restore to an earlier point. And eventually it usually starts to work again for no apparent reason i.e. it connects and the light goes back on. However this is just a temporary fix as the connection soon drops again (it can take a day or two or just a few hours).

I know the wi-fi network itself is fine. There are two other laptops in the house and these both work with no problem.

I'd be grateful if anybody could offer any advice as to a long term fix.

tia

Bear

Sounds like your wifi card is dying/dead. I've seen this happen before, don't worry it's a cheap part to replace and is usually easily accessible underneath your laptop. If you flip your laptop over, you can usually find an access cover, or multiple access covers. Open those with a screwdriver and you'll find a small little board with 2 antenna wires coming out of it. THe wires pop right off, and the board is usually screwed in with 1 or 2 screws. Take that board out and find an INTEL wifi board of similar form factor on ebay. Intel boards are usually always compatible, and windows has no problem finding drivers for them.

thbear71

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
Thanks for the advice. Next time it drops the connection I'll get the screwdriver out.

It's working again for the time being. I removed the battery and now it connects seemingly np. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it continues to do so.