Laptop keeps freezing, taking ages to load, programs crash

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Hi

I have an MSI gaming laptop and since the other day I've been experiencing issues with it. I'm not sure what the problem is or if it's because of multiple issues. I've noticed whenever I'm working in Clip Studio Paint and load up Firefox, Firefox tends to lock up and crash. It was doing it more whenever I tried to stream via Spotify or YouTube. The whole system takes forever to respond. I figured it was Firefox that was the problem. I tried refreshing it and uninstalling/reinstalling, but it hasn't helped. I figured it was Clip Studio Paint causing problems, so tried reinstalling that too.

I've tried doing a memory diagnostic thinking my RAM was maybe faulty but that finished fine without issues. I've run chkdsk for both drives using /f /r /x and even that's ended fine. I had a message saying my display driver failed to start so I thought it was related to my GPU's drivers, completely uninstalled them and installed the latest. Everything seemed fine after that until I was using it earlier and the same issues happened again. Even just trying to load up Firefox without streaming anything was causing it to take forever to load and hang. Even trying to switch over to Steam chat to try and respond to someone's message is taking forever to respond and has now disappeared and crashed. I've right clicked on the desktop to see if the Nvidia Control Panel option is there and it takes forever to respond. :(

I'm totally at a loss as to what's wrong with it.

Can you try running repairs on your Windows installation? Command lines like sfc /scannow, or DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Your last resort would be to reinstall Windows, drivers, and programs altogether. If you have the same behavior after that, your suspicion about the GPU might have been right.

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
I totally forgot about scannow. I'll give that a try after it's finally finished a virus scan. Thanks. :)

I don't particularly fancy reformatting - I've barely had or used the machine for a year - but I suspect I'll have to as a last resort. :-/

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Well, it was running through scannow, but then didn't appear to be doing anything. I tried restarting it and now every time I do, it takes forever. :-/

EDIT: Okay, scannow has turned up nothing, like I suspected. DISM has been restored and I'm running scannow again. It's looking likely that I'll have to reformat.

Feb 12, 2019
Hello, by sheer coincidence I happen to have the same kind of laptop, and I've been running into the same issues. Can you let me know if you happen to find a solution, Because I've only had this laptop for about 6 months and frankly I'm extremely concerned.