Question Laptop keeps freezing

Dec 5, 2019
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad, which I bought a little over a year ago. I don't know the exact specs but it was the newest model as of Fall 2018 and it's running Windows 10. For the past few weeks, it's been freezing up all the time. Sometimes it'll go to a Blue Screen of Death, sometimes the screen will just become completely unresponsive. In either case, lines of static usually come up all across the screen, and sometimes there are huge blocks of static covering half the screen or more. Also, if there's any sound playing when it freezes, it'll repeat a split-second of the audio on loop, which is incredibly grating. This has happened in Safe Mode and even when I was running a hardware check on the computer, so I'm 100% sure it's not just a software issue.

I've also noticed that whenever the laptop is plugged in, this ALWAYS happens within a few minutes of turning the computer on. (The computer still charges normally when it's plugged in but turned off.) When it isn't plugged in, there's a 50/50 chance of it freezing: sometimes it can run until the battery dies (typically 4-5 hours) without problem, but sometimes it still freezes up. A lot of times it seems to freeze when I move or pick up the computer, especially if it gets moved too suddenly or roughly. Also, for the rest of the day after it freezes, it'll freeze again within a few minutes of booting up; it won't be able to run again without freezing for another 12-24 hours.

Is this computer fixable at all, or is it just completely screwed now? If it can be fixed, how much would that cost? I'm currently broke and can't afford to buy a new computer or to get extensive repairs done, is there anything I can do?

Lutfij

Titan
Can you parse the model/series number or the SKU for the Thinkpad you have? You will also need to go into BIOS and see which version you're currently running for your Thinkpad. Speaking of versions, which version of Windows 10 are you on? We're currently on 1909.

Have you installed all necessary drivers for the laptop manually in an elevated command, i.e right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Dec 5, 2019
I don't understand what you mean by "elevated command."

Here are the full system specs:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-7G285MS
System Manufacturer LENOVO
System Model 20KS003WUS
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU LENOVO_MT_20KS_BU_Think_FM_ThinkPad E580
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2701 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO R0PET35W (1.12 ), 1/22/2018
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 1.12
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer LENOVO
BaseBoard Product 20KS003WUS
BaseBoard Version SDK0J40697 WIN
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32